I won't pay here, I certainly won't pay there!!!

Thread: I won't pay here, I certainly won't pay there!!!

Hybrid View

Angry I won't pay here, I certainly won't pay there!!!

I did a random google search for an Intel NIC driver. I couldn't find it with a search on Intel's site, so I figured google has never let me down, and found this site. http://www.helpdrivers.com/

You won't believe it, once I narrowed down the correct driver for the required OS, they asked me a credit card for almost $5.00 before I could download the driver. This isn't even their driver! The download was only suposed to be 56K. Where do they come off???

I can't believe that sh!t!

I found the driver 5 minutes later somewhere else for free.

Re: I won't pay here, I certainly won't pay there!!!

Originally posted by Ya_know
    I did a random google search for an Intel NIC driver. I couldn't find it with a search on Intel's site, so I figured google has never let me down, and found this site. http://www.helpdrivers.com/

You won't believe it, once I narrowed down the correct driver for the required OS, they asked me a credit card for almost $5.00 before I could download the driver. This isn't even their driver! The download was only suposed to be 56K. Where do they come off???

I can't believe that sh!t!

I found the driver 5 minutes later somewhere else for free.
    Not to mention the pop ups........
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Angry

Its a damn crying shame when you have to pay for the hardware and then pay again for the driver.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

i can't remember who it was, but a few years ago one of the bigger scanner makers tried charging people for thier own driver downloads. not the softeware suite downloads, but the drivers for the scanner
    take care and tempt not the fates

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Originally posted by Buddy Holly
    i can't remember who it was, but a few years ago one of the bigger scanner makers tried charging people for thier own driver downloads. not the softeware suite downloads, but the drivers for the scanner
    I belive it was UMAX
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

that sounds about right. i know it kept me from ever buying another umax scanner

Yeah, it was umax.

Pay for a Driver? Ha! Never!

I forget who said it, but I saw it here...

But I'll say it again..

"IF I WANTED TO PAY FOR A DRIVER I'D HIRE A CHAUFFER!!!"

EL C-

On that note I have a DFI Mobo that has no BIOS updates unless I pay, ugh.
    GO PATS!!!!

Re: Pay for a Driver? Ha! Never!

Originally posted by El Clammino
    I forget who said it, but I saw it here...

But I'll say it again..

"IF I WANTED TO PAY FOR A DRIVER I'D HIRE A CHAUFFER!!!"

EL C-

On that note I have a DFI Mobo that has no BIOS updates unless I pay, ugh.
    that was Mr Wilsons sig before he left us

That would have been one Darren Wilson....
    HUNGRY?.....UNEMPLOYED?.....EAT YOUR F#%$ING
    JAP CAR!!!!!!!

Idiotic!!!

Just for Kicks I looked up the logitech kybd/mouse drivers $4.75 for the drivers. I would think this is illeagal as they are free from logitechs site. We should e-mail this link to all the larger companys and let their Legal departments bankrupt these A** holes. I am 99.9% sure in the EULAs you can't resell drivers.

Got this from Logitech EULA

2. Restrictions. The Software contains copyrighted material, trade secrets, and other proprietary materials of Logitech and its licensors. You agree that in order to protect those proprietary materials, except as expressly permitted by applicable law, neither you nor a third party acting on your behalf will: (i) decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer the Software; (ii) modify or create derivative works of the Software; (iii) use the Software in any manner to provide service bureau, commercial time-sharing or other computer services to third parties; (iv) transmit the Software or provide its functionality, in whole or in part, over the Internet or other network (except as expressly permitted above); or (v) sell, distribute, rent, lease, sublicense or otherwise transfer the Software to a third party, except upon a permanent transfer of the Logitech product using the Software; provided that: (a) all Software updates are included in the transfer, (b) you do not retain a copy of the Software, and (c) the transferee agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions in this Agreement.

Let the legal departments sue these guys silly

PS if u you look at the URL its in spanish so may not be US or UK
    Pimps in da' front..... Ho's in da' back..... and Chumps in da' Trunk!

"A One that is not cold, is scarcely a One at all." StrongBad

Likley their defense is " we're not selling the drivers , just charging for server time"..............I don't pretend to know if that will hold water or not , but my guess is it will.

In the case of windrivers I would agree but they are charging per download instead of a monthly/one time fee. It just burns me when peoples ignorance is taken advantage of for profit. Lets sign [email protected] up for some of that spam.

Just did a whois
    [email protected]]
    Last edited by goinpostal; February 17th, 2003 at 03:53 PM.
    Pimps in da' front..... Ho's in da' back..... and Chumps in da' Trunk!

"A One that is not cold, is scarcely a One at all." StrongBad

It's evolution I guess. Sites grow and get popular and then they go pay to make a huge capital gain. Then people get irate and build new sites and then they in turn grow and make money from the internet. Then they can afford to buy their own chauffeur....
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

I myself had felt betrayed when WinDrivers went to *pay us 20-odd dollars a month or else*

I guess it may be worth it for IT departments, but not for independent techs like myself.

*Assimilates random driver files*
    "I aspire sir, to be better than I am." -- Data, Star Trek: Nemesis