Can't delete a folder in the start menu

Thread: Can't delete a folder in the start menu

Can't delete a folder in the start menu

I've a folder in the start menu that doesn't work, when I try to start a program from one of his link it says a error msg.
    And an error message comes out also if I try to delete that folder.
    I unistalled the programs linked to that folder and some links desappaired, but just some. Then I reinstalled the programs making a new folder with a different name and everythig works good. Now I've just that strange folder who annoys me when I open the start menu.
    Is there a way to get rid of it?
    Thanks

by start menu, do you mean the frequently used programs on the left, or is it in program items or what?

If you right click on the folder do you get the option to "remove from this list" ?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've set the start menu in classic mode, so I clic the start button, then go to program folder and here I've the evil folder, if i right-clic it I get the remove from list option, but if I clic on it I've, after a while, a pop up message that says "access denied". Same thing happens if I try to delete any link inside that folder.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    by start menu, do you mean the frequently used programs on the left, or is it in program items or what?

If you right click on the folder do you get the option to "remove from this list" ?

Boot to safe mode and try it there - press f8 before windows starts loading a couple of times - it will give you a black and white menu. Choose safe mode (with nothing else).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I tried to boot in safe mode and then I tried logging both as administrator or user (only user) but I was not able to remove that folder.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Boot to safe mode and try it there - press f8 before windows starts loading a couple of times - it will give you a black and white menu. Choose safe mode (with nothing else).

OK, what is in the folder? What is the name of the folder?

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Try killing it in a dos prompt from within windows, I've ran across a few items that would not delete any other way.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

quite better :-)
    I was able to delete two shortcut that were inside the folder, but still I've 2 subfolder that I'm not able to delete, if I try to access these folders it says access denied, if I try to delete them it just says...nothing.

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    Try killing it in a dos prompt from within windows, I've ran across a few items that would not delete any other way.

Again, what is the name of the folder?

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    The name is really important. Corrupt folder names can cause this problem.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Log on as administrator, go to c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu for stray items. And check your own profile in c:\documents and settings.

The reason you have to do this is that WinXP is a multi user OS and each user has their own start menu, in addition to the one used for "all users"

Some install routines are not XP aware, and put the start menu entries in the wrong spot.