27GB DVDs Soon?

Thread: 27GB DVDs Soon?

The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

That would be nice. I really want a DVD burner but the technology seems to be evolving faster than it can be standardized. Guess I'll keep waiting.
    Do You Realize? - that you have the most beautiful face
    Do You Realize? - we're floating in space -
    Do You Realize? - that happiness makes you cry
    Do You Realize? - that everyone you know someday will die

Originally posted by Darkstar
    That would be nice. I really want a DVD burner but the technology seems to be evolving faster than it can be standardized. Guess I'll keep waiting.
    Yeah, it's going to be years before we start seeing DVD-burners as standard. Unless blue laser is just like double-sided CDRW, or those discs that hold 100GB of data supposedly.

Originally posted by Darkstar
    Same here. My bud got a pioneer dvd-rw and I had a gift cert for staples so I went and bought me some dvd-r's and made me a backup of all of my important data that now sits in my trunk of my car.

One thing to wait for is getting the write speed up dramatically. It takes like 30-45 minutes to write at 1x. It sux. Also the fact it holds 4.3gb of data (4.7 is BS - it's really 4.3) is actually a pain. It's better than 700mb cd's but I still need many dvd's to back up a few gb and since the stuff I want to get off the HDD is like 50-60gb at a time, I'm still stuck buying more hdd's for space hoping they don't go bad.

Not buying one until there is a standard and until they get write speeds up to 8x at least. Hopefully then they will have larger sizes too.