Using 2 Ethernet Cards - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Using 2 Ethernet Cards

Originally posted by joelen
    I think you are missing the point.

I am using 2 NICs, 2 connections, double speed.

both pcs are capped, but the total rate doubles, as these are pulling from 2 different connections. I am not on the same network zone as my nieghbor, or this would not work. as it is, I am on a different zone, so it DOES in fact work.

Using your water analogy, I am getting water from 2 different water companies.
    if his modem is connected to his machine, and your modem to yours and your computers are hooked via crossover cable, then it makes even less sense, because each computer's secondary NIC, can have only one default gateway which would be the first NIC with the cable modem hooked up to it.

now if you had one computer with three NICS in it that had the two cable modems hooked up and one connection to a hub and you're computers each connected to the hub via one NIC than I'd start to think it's possible and not just a strange occurance because that one computer with 3 NICS would act as the router and gateway for the other two machines and somehow combine the bandwith of both modems and shoot it to the computer(s) who were requesting it.

without a router that both cable modems are hooked into centrally it can't happen and even then I'm not sure you can do more than load balance by routing traffic to the least congested modem.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Originally posted by kato2274
    if his modem is connected to his machine, and your modem to yours and your computers are hooked via crossover cable, then it makes even less sense, because each computer's secondary NIC, can have only one default gateway which would be the first NIC with the cable modem hooked up to it.

now if you had one computer with three NICS in it that had the two cable modems hooked up and one connection to a hub and you're computers each connected to the hub via one NIC than I'd start to think it's possible and not just a strange occurance because that one computer with 3 NICS would act as the router and gateway for the other two machines and somehow combine the bandwith of both modems and shoot it to the computer(s) who were requesting it.

without a router that both cable modems are hooked into centrally it can't happen and even then I'm not sure you can do more than load balance by routing traffic to the least congested modem.
    That was what I was thinking...

I do not have the time, or the desire to contionue this further.

I was simply letting you know it is possible and that it DOES work- you can shotgun broadband.

Obviously, everyone here just wants to call me a liar without bothering to even ask me the specifics of my system, and how its set up.

You obviously know better, you are right. It cannot be done, it is not possible, becuase you say so.

The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

I do not have the time, or the desire to contionue this further.

I was simply letting you know it is possible and that it DOES work- you can shotgun broadband.

Obviously, everyone here just wants to call me a liar without bothering to even ask me the specifics of my system, and how its set up.

You obviously know better, you are right. It cannot be done, it is not possible, becuase you say so.

Seems to me the burden of proof is in your court. If you don't "desire" to continue this discussion, fine. It’s not like you have even tried to prove your case anyway...

Joelen

No one has called you a liar.

What they have stated is their experience with networked internet connections.

If you have a setup that allows this to work, then please educate us.

Yes shotgunning broadband IS possible, but so far all you have said is you are networked with your neighbour.

So before attacking those you see as naysayers, why not tell us how your system works.

I for one would be very interested in learning what has happened here.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No one has come right out and called me a liar, but its clear enough.

And as for the "burden of proof"? There is no burden. I don't have a thing to prove, i don't appreciate those who feel they are superior simply informing me that i am full of sh**. You may not have come right out and said it, but you may of well have.

So good day. I've said my piece, and I am on to other things.
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

No one has come right out and called me a liar, but its clear enough.

And as for the "burden of proof"? There is no burden. I don't have a thing to prove, i don't appreciate those who feel they are superior simply informing me that i am full of sh**. You may not have come right out and said it, but you may of well have.

But see there you go...you want us to ask you how you are setup, you implore us to do so, and I think it is quite clear that we want to know. So then, enlighten those of us that doubt you claim. Because as it stands it is completely unsubstantiated...

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    So no-one else here has had something on a network work better than it should do, but not wanted to play with it to find out why for fear of breaking it?

I know I have
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

no one is calling you a liar. I'm just saying that from my networking experience, creating a setup like you described would take some serious equipment and router scripting. I don't doubt that your claim, I'm just saying that it's more than likely NOT a case of combining both modem's bandwidth.
    and if the setup if you both have two nics one with a cable modem and one connected to each other it's completely illogical for this to be happening from what we know about how networks function.

at the very least you'd have to have a router where the modems were centrally hooked into and you haven't indicated that's the case in your setup.

your NIC can have one default gateway to the internet at any one time. so unless the cable modems are hooked to one central computer, you're not going to be able to pull data and packets from the other cable modem, because as far as your nic knows, it doesn't even exist.

I don't doubt that you are getting this effect. I just doubt it's a case of truly "shotgunning" those two modems.

You have it all wrong...or you are wrong. If you can prove beyond a shadow of your own doubt, but don’t offer any of your research—expect to have your bluff called. This is an integral part of critical thinking; you must prove your case or be disbelieved. If you really have this working, it would be in the best interest of the board to share your experience; your effort is rewarded when you come back here looking for answers to a question of your own.

On the flip side, if you believe you are able to shotgun broadband between you and your neighbor but have no statistical proof, or the know-how to produce this proof, you could always ask the board for instructions how to figure out if you are actually piping from both modems. Either way it will be a learning experience for all, and I am sure you would like to know for sure if even you have any doubt!

So swallow your pride and join back in. As the Wolf in Pulp Fiction once said, “Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fu(kin’ car”.

Spend One Hour of Every Day Like it was Your last, you'll Live much better that way

great links. this quote from the dsl reports site says it all
    dslreports faq
    Circuit bonding*/muxing is a very different approach to increasing your bandwidth. Unlike load balancing, the bits of all clients are spread across all connections. So, unlike the above example, two 1024kbps circuits will equal 2048kbps (and each computer has all of that bandwidth available, unlike above). However this approach is much more expensive. Circuit bonding requires two routers and two devices called "muxs". One router and "mux" is placed at the ISP end and the other router and "mux" is placed at the customer end. You ISP must support this configuration as well, and often times providers will only do this type of connection with T1 circuits.
    like I said
    I said this
    I'm just saying that from my networking experience, creating a setup like you described would take some serious equipment and router scripting. I don't doubt that your claim, I'm just saying that it's more than likely NOT a case of combining both modem's bandwidth.

Great links! Thanks.

I remember the days when we had dial-on-demand ISDN, when that would drop, I would plug in my modem on my laptop to the analog phone port and dial my modem and get like a 21.2k connection, when the ISDN came back up, I was using both devices to send IP traffic. I would assume 2 NICS, 2 IPs from 2 ISPs, 2 broadband accounts, I could see how it could work. My NIC would communicate on the LAN (IPX Novell traffic), and the modem would be sending the IP traffic to the 'net. So it can be done, I just haven't done it with IP on 2 ports.

Is there a chance you can provide a block diagram with your setup and explain the states and modes to which it is used. I am having difficulty understanding how you can double your download speeds. Please include your ISP information and an example download file and times while connected via two machines and in singleton. Please include any equipment used in your setup so that we may duplicate your efforts. Thanks!

-smiddy