Heat Pipes?

Thread: Heat Pipes?

Heat Pipes?

Anyone know if these things really work? Looks kinda cool (no pun intended).

http://www.taisol.com/heatpipes.html

Found a review here:
    http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=93
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; February 19th, 2003 at 09:15 PM.

Looks like a gimmick to me. Never heard anything great about it.

Grab a Thermalright SK-7 with a good 80mm fan, or maybe a Coolermaster HAC-V81. You won't be disappointed, and both solutions should be rather cheap. Both of those coolers sport 80mm fans, the Coolermaster has a knob-adjustable one.

The Coolermaster is notably cheaper...then again, it does not perform quite as well.

As always go to newegg.com for everything ya need

Not looking to buy one, just wondered. Haven't seen much more than the article posted and anandtech.com has a not in it's 2002 article on cooling about heat pipe technology looking promising.

Heatpipes have been around for a long time. They work on a vapour phase refrigeration principle, moving heat away from one end of the pipe & releasing it at the other.

I think their best application would be to remove the CPU heat from the inside of the case completely. That is, to conveniently have the hot air blow straight out the back of the case instead of passing through the case heating up the other parts on its way.

This is difficult to implement without a standardised fitting, so it's only started to be implemented on proprietary designs.

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    Not looking to buy one, just wondered. Haven't seen much more than the article posted and anandtech.com has a not in it's 2002 article on cooling about heat pipe technology looking promising.
    I see...Coolermaster has a heatpipe cooler that looks slightly less gimmicky and suppoedly works well. Forgot the model number though

I constructed a pipe with 2.5 x 1 inch cable housing. The fan blows forward in the case. The pipe first goes up followed by a 90degree bend towards the back and then another bend about 30degrees to the left that was necessary. It finishes next to a couple of 60cm fans outside the case. Its a desktop case.

The only time I lower the cpu speed is when I'm backing up the HD. Its certainly worth the bother of building.

Fraser.

I built a comp. with one of those, the guy went into total overkill with his buying, but the fan worked well, and was quiet. Can't ask more than that!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Some of the shuttle small footprint cases (I forget what model and all that) that have the cpu builtinto the mobo come with these. Dunno how well they work but if they work good that would quiet up a lot of cases (as you wouldn't need as many case fans if any at all since the heat would be released outside the case)
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Tattoo addict

Re: Heat Pipes?

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    Anyone know if these things really work? Looks kinda cool (no pun intended).

http://www.taisol.com/heatpipes.html

Found a review here:
    http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=93
    I have read alot about those,and from what I know,they do a good job of cooling.you just have to be careful with room on the mobo,ie> capacitors,etc,etc

Originally posted by JungleMan1
    I see...Coolermaster has a heatpipe cooler that looks slightly less gimmicky and suppoedly works well. Forgot the model number though
    HHC-001 - I have one and it works like a charm, loud though it is...
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.