Power supplies.

Thread: Power supplies.

Power supplies.

OK. Some of you may think me dumber than I am after this question.

What is the difference between a decent power supply and a not so decent one? I've found kind of a lack of information on this and google has proved useless so far.

I know that enermax and antec and some others make awesome PSU's. Given. But, what the heck makes them so special??? What is it that the generic PSU's lack that makes them an issue?

I saw one post recently where it mentioned the actual useable power of the power supply Vs. the overall rating. I.E. a 300 watt PSU could actually have less than 180watts between the rails and can cause issue as components can not draw enough power (I'm not even 100% sure what "the rails" are but I get the general idea).

But, is that it? What is it that makes a 330watt antec that much better than a 450watt generic PSU that is maybe a third to a quarter of the cost?

Also, which of the better PSU's is the best or something resembling the best? Do any of you know any decent links to benchmark testing or a site that rates PSU's?

Weight is what tells the story. Hoist one then the other.

I use HEC........Never an RMA in 2 years.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

These are all good questions!

Read up on Tom's Hardware Guide to Power Supplies.

My personal feeling is that the heavier the rating, the better. But as Tom's Rant in the link above showed, the ratings can be exagerated. Thus, going with a known-good company is the preferred route.

Also, what DocPC says about weight has strong merit too. Heavier transformers and heavier power transistors and heavier guage wires are made for efficient handling of higher currents. These don't come cheap. And, don't forget about the cooling fan in that power supply. Heavier fans draw more current and put out more air...and more noise too, usually.

Again, you get what you pay for...
    Last edited by DonJ; February 20th, 2003 at 10:37 PM.

Originally posted by DocPC
    Weight is what tells the story. Hoist one then the other.
    yup!
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Ruslan wrote a fair bit on PSU's, I would suggest doing a search for Ruslan's posts. It is the psu's ability to supply a constant unwavering voltage that is important... no cheap one can usually do that over extended periods of time.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The articles on Tom's were very helpful and explained a lot. Oddly I was there and couldn't find anything. I never seem to be able to find what I want on his site (unfortunatly).

Thanks!

It is the psu's ability to supply a constant unwavering voltage that is important... no cheap one can usually do that over extended periods of time.
    At some point, psu's begin to waver so bad that the system starts losing its stability. My computer is a perfect example of that. I have a cheap $9 duro psu, and I can't do anything other than basic applications right now or else my computer locks up.
    General Darksteel, fascist dictator, socially inept and clueless demagouge, and one man army of the L.U.R.K.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    What is it that makes a 330watt antec that much better than a 450watt generic PSU that is maybe a third to a quarter of the cost?

In this case the higher cost actually translates into actual, real world performance gains. What makes a 330 watt Antec better than a higher rated generic? The actual details are not as important as the fact that it is. Ever go to a stereo store and see a Technics receiver next to a Yamaha receiver? The Technics has higher rated power but won't play as load nor sound as good as the Yamaha which cost more for less "specs". Think of cars. Whats going to win a race a Yugo with a 300 horspower engine(if you could stuff it under the hood) or a Porsche with a 250?