Weird I.E problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weird I.E problem

Question Weird I.E problem

I have two clients with Sony Vaio laptops(both bought at the same time). OS is XP Home Edition w/I.E. 6.0. They are on a P2P network and have been for about a year. About 2 weeks ago, the I.E. would come up with no page to display. The home page is set to Google but at the bottom in the status bar, it is trying to connect to 10.0.0.5 ip address.

The network gateway they are on is 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, I have double checked their IP and DNS and everything is correct. In DOS prompt, IPCONFIG shows correct settings. When I ping the gateway, I receive reply on all packets and when I ping Google, replies also. I have restored defaults on I.E. in case there was something changed. Still same problem. Short of sticking in the recovery CD I am at a loss. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Can they see other pages? I heard someone else say with all the slammer/hacker attacks lately that some servers were not routing connections correctly.

If they are getting page cannot be displayed on all sites I'd say it was a messed up tcp/ip stack. Maybe search the forum for tcp/ip and my user name, if that is the case as I've encountered that before. Many suggestions were given but the only way I was ever able to resolve the issue was with a reformat and reinstall.

Good luck.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

This happens with all web pages. Ditto on the slammer attack but not the case here. It is beginning to look like recovery time.

Thank you.

I would do a search of the forrums still as the suggestions given may actually work for you. If you don't find anything try searching aol or msn as well with my user name you should get something ( or even winxp). There are things to try before giving up. Unfortunately I don't have the time to search it and post a link for you right at the moment. My benches are full right now....

I was looking at all posts connected with TCP/IP as we write. Have no plans to recover until I exhaust all options.

Thank you Shard92

Have you gone into IE connections and deselected the option to Autodetect and use script and all that jazz? Also I would do a search in regedit for 10.0.0.5 just to see if anything is buried there. Might also try adaware on the systems see if it finds anything (remember to update after you install v.6).
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Check the settings for "use a proxy server" and make sure it isn't turned on for that IP address.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Hmmmmm.....sounds like a wireless IP. Has it got a wireless NIC in it?
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Proxy server is not set for thst IP and there is no wireless nic in the laptop. I plan on running Adaware first thing in the morning to see if they have a program installed disrupting the I.E. like Xupiter. Last week I had (5) machines totaly trashed by this program. Thank you for all the ideas. I will try everyone of them first AM and let you know what the outcome is.

you've probably already checked this, but have you gone deeper into the proxy settings to see where it's pointing to for individual services? (ie. one address for http, one for ftp etc etc)?
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    You should also check the HOSTS file to make sure it hasn't been altered in any way.

Have you also tried BHOCop to see if there are any Browser Helper Objects involved?

10.x.x.x is private address space like 192.168.x.x. The router would route that out but it would go nowhere.

So, even when you type in a specific IP everything still tries to route to 10.x.x.x, eh?

Recovery sounds a bit extreme, but it works in a pinch.

Another idea: qualify the router with another PC. Can you bring in a PC or laptop?
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Checked LMHOST and is fine. As far as a router is concerned, there is no router. There are approx. 55 machines connected to a w2k server running 2 nics. The rest of the PC's are working great with no connectivity problem. As reported earlier, I can ping gateway and Google through command prompt but IE will not display. Recovery may seem a little drastic, but in this case, the clients are losing money because they cannot get on line to update their website for real estate.

Go in and just start ripping stuff out. Remove and replace TCP/IP. Is NETBUEI present? Remove and replace the nic driver. Check for a virus, and spyware.

Are you using DHCP? Try to release and renew the IP.

Originally posted by jimmm33
    Go in and just start ripping stuff out. Remove and replace TCP/IP. Is NETBUEI present? Remove and replace the nic driver. Check for a virus, and spyware.

Are you using DHCP? Try to release and renew the IP.
    how do you remove tcp/ip from an xp computer? I've never been able to do it! MS says you can't that you have to use some utilities to reset it. Which for me have never worked.

Originally posted by Shard92
    how do you remove tcp/ip from an xp computer? I've never been able to do it! MS says you can't that you have to use some utilities to reset it. Which for me have never worked.
    Here is an MS article. I've never done it so I can't advise you on any of it...

How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP