[RESOLVED] Fat16/Fat32 - No HD Access

Thread: [RESOLVED] Fat16/Fat32 - No HD Access

Rick Kivler

Unhappy Fat16/Fat32 - No HD Access

I recently had to reinstall win95 ver. a, after a crash. I had osr2, and both drives were formatted under fat32. Because of a bad CD disc, I had to reinstall the a version. I had to reformat my C drive with fat16. Now, my D drive (still under fat32) is not accessible. If I boot with my osr2 boot disk, it is, but windows won't run. Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Rick Kivler (edited December 18, 1999).]

Question

Why do you have to install win95 A if you already had win 95 B?

Since the retail versions of Windows 95 know nothing about FAT32, if you want to continue running it, you will need to convert the FAT32 partition to a FAT16.

I'm not exactly sure what is available out there, but I believe there are programs that can convert FAT32 partitions to FAT16, Partition Magic in particular. However, I don't know if it is going to like being run in your scenario or not. You may want to contact Powerquest to see if it would help you out.

There may be other products as well. Anybody else have suggestions, perhaps freeware or shareware programs that you have had success with?

Another option, if you have space, is to copy all of the files on your D: drive to another source temporarily, such as a subdirectory on your C: drive, onto a tape drive, etc. Then format the D: drive with FAT16 and copy all of the files back onto the drive. Of course, this will not work if you have too much on the D: drive...

Another option is to get a replacement CD of the b or c edition of Windows...

Mark

[This message has been edited by schultzz (edited December 22, 1999).]

GO TO POWERQUEST WEBSITE AS ADVISED
    THEY DO A FREE TRIAL DOWNLOAD
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.