no CD-ROM only writer

Thread: no CD-ROM only writer

no CD-ROM only writer

what is a code 10? When I click on MY Computer it shows writer with a red X and the secondary IDE with yellow !.I can not load anything norplay CD. Would installing memory have anyting to do with this?Thanks for any help.

Code 10 Tells you you have a problem on your device - it may be as simple as the wrong driver or it may indicate that the hardware is faulty and about anything in between.

The secondary ide is probably running (or not in this case) your cdrom, which is why you cannot use it.

What we have to do is work out whether this is a registry/conflict problem, a driver problem or a hardware problem.

Could you please post details about your motherboard make and model? If you don't know it, go to www.belarc.com download the free personal audit, run it and post here what it says about your mainboard.

Installing memory could have something to do with it, in that you may have inadvertently knocked a cable so it is no longer correctly seated, or you may have caused the bios to reset which inturn may have disabled the secondary ide in the bios menu.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

CD_Writer but no CD ROM

Operating System System Model
    Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) Compaq Compaq PC
    System Serial Number: 3h9act9fx09b
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    500 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Compaq 05C4h 1.2b
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software 4.51 PG 09/14/99
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    13.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    10.97 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

ST313021A [Hard drive] (13.02 GB) -- drive 0 184 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 64 MB
    Slot '1' has 128 MB
    Slot '2' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 13.01 GB 10.97 GB free

Logins Network Drives
    No details available

Installed Microsoft Hotfixes Printers
    Internet Explorer
    SP1 (SP1)

Click here to see all available security Hotfixes.

Marks a HotFix that verifies correctly
    Marks a HotFix that fails verification
    (Failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)
    An unmarked HotFix lacks the data to allow verification Compaq IJ300 on LPT1:
    EPSON Stylus COLOR 600 on LPT1:

Controllers Display
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller SiS 530 [Display adapter]
    COMPAQ MV720 [Monitor] (16.3"vis, s/n 946CE48BKGSB, November 1999)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller ESS SOLO-1 DOS Emulation
    ESS SOLO-1 PCI AudioDrive
    Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
    Communications Other Devices
    Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    WAN Miniport (ATW)
    Network IP Address: 172.133.99.65 Sony Proprietary CD-ROM Controller
    Conexant PCI Modem Enumerator
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    WheelMouse1 (PS/2)
    USB Root Hub

Hope this is what Noo needs to help me...This is a great site.

Edited by NooNoo: I removed your software licence numbers and the software installed... they are not needed.

OK, did you check that you have not nudged a cable or something fitting the memory?

I would like you to check the registry for something:

Start, run, type in regedit, click ok

When it opens, click edit, find, type in NOIDE
    click find next. If it is found, right click on the noide key and click delete. Close regedit by using the x in the top right hand corner and reboot the machine.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

have rewrite but no CDROM

checked REG but that Noide did not show up...I checked to make sure cable was set. It is connected to rewite so I am sure it is connected but did check to make sure.Maybe I need to check Bios setting like you said but I have no idea how.What you think? NOO you are the greatest.

OK next thing to try is boot to safe mode (press f8 a few times just before windows starts loading) go into device manager and delete the secondary ide that's showing a problem. Now reboot, it should redetect it and hopefully put it right... I do have some more fixes, but lets start with the easy stuff.

no CDROM

can not remove secondary iDE in safe mode cuse it says:this is part of multifuntion parent and cannot be removed. Device Manger:CDROM RED X over IDE-CD R/RW4x4x24:Hard Disk controllers:yellow ! over secondary IDE controller(daul fifo)
    Next suggestion!!! Question if I do a restoe would that fix problem?

No, 98se is a registry restore only, not a system restore.

What I would like you to do next is this - go back to safe mode and....

start, run, type in regedit, click ok

Look for Hkey_local_machine - double click to open it, now look for Enum, double click to open it, now look for MF - right click and delete it. Close regedit, get your trusty 98 cd and put it in the cdrom drive. Now restart the machine.

Here comes the important bit, however much it begs and pleads to restart when it is reloading the mf key, do not let it. Wait until it has finished finding all the hardware and got ALL the way to desktop. Then you can restart it.

Then check to see if its fixed it. Do not check before, because untill you do the final reboot, it will be incorrect.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Noo,

Can you explain the part about not restarting during detect?

Curious...
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

This was a problem in 95b onwards, in that if it rebooted half way through installing the ide controllers, the secondary ide would be installed as a 16 bit.... I have see this happen on 98 machines that were upgraded from 95 as well.... sooooo

In order to force windows to carry on installing the 32bit controllers, you don't reboot and that way you can be sure that if windows doesn't use compatiblity mode. If after that reboot it does, you can be pretty sure that either you have that nice little virus that screws up the registry settings or the realmode drivers for the cdrom are being loaded in autoexec.bat. Since that lot is usually too much for people to take onboard when troubleshooting problems of this nature, it is just my way of removing possibilities.

NooNoo might beat me for this but I wanted to say one thing about editing the registry. Before making any changes its wise to make a backup so you can undo any changes that make a mess of your system. To make a backup goto start run and type regedit then press enter after that select registry and goto export choose a name and location to store it and your done. Note this is not meant to take away from what NooNoo said because even I learned something from this post.

Re: no CD-ROM only writer

Originally posted by saintcloud48
    what is a code 10? When I click on MY Computer it shows writer with a red X and the secondary IDE with yellow !.I can not load anything norplay CD. Would installing memory have anyting to do with this?Thanks for any help.

Question when you installed the new drive did you make sure the jumpers were set correctly? usually you set the writer as Master, CD as slave, and the cables are connected correctly?

If so and that does not do the trick go into your bios and make sure the IDE devices are set at auto detect.... the reboot it should detect both devices.....

If you still have a error after that go back in to divive Manager and delete both CD, and Writer then reboot win 98 should detect them both.

If theres still a problem go into device manager and click on properties on both CD and Writer make sure there assigned different drive numbers.

If that don't do the trick try a different cable on the drives that one may be defective.

If none of above fixed the problem then most likely one of the drives are bad.

Good Luck

Wink

One other thing while in bios make sure both IDE ports are enabled

No CDROM

First Noo I went to ENUM and deleted MF did restart and waited would not start til desk top like you said. But then same thing red x over writer and yellow! over secondery IDE.
    Couple things I think maybe I should tell you:I knew I had no CDROM but I was tring to fix it and for some reason it stalled Word ( I had the disk in ) it showed for short time on D.But it did install. For that reason I think CDROM is ok mechanically.Second thing when I star computer I get Error could not execute MAin:the system cannot find the file specified. ANd last ANN I don't know how to get to the Bios to check what you said. SOOOOOOO now still need help!!!!: :::: but know NOO and others will figure this out for me...THANKS

When you first boot your system it should say somewhere to "press xxx to enter setup" the xxx can be f1, f2, ctrl- alt- esc, or del along with several other things the point being do what ever it says if it doesn't say well then just start trying all the ones I mentioned. Good Luck!!