Desktop control
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Desktop control

Desktop control

Ok all got a small user problem on the 2000/NT server i run. I have a guest type login that gives all the basics to the users so they can run the programs they want but at this point ive had a problem with people thinking they are all smart and creating tons of shortcuts on the desktops which Im getting tired of. Is there any way of easily removing their ability to change their own desktops yet still be able to activate all the shortcuts on it that i put that? I know i can remove their premissions from it but i swear that messed up the whole setup somehow but who knows maybe i was dreaming. any help please.

Look into the use of mandatory profiles...any changes they are able to make won't be saved. The next time they log in it will be the way it was before.

How to Create Mandatory Profiles with Windows NT 4.0

Thanks i will look into the profile type but i was hoping more for stopping them before they can even create the shortcuts and such on desktop. having it not show up is nice but they can still be annoying before they log off. any more ideas please?

Just a theory...
    Enable Active Desktop. Right-click on the desktop and uncheck "Show desktop icons". Run the policy editor (poledit)and disable either Display Properties or right-clicking on the desktop! Could work... in theory...

Worst case scenerio? Throw this into a batch file:
    @echo off
    del /q %userprofile%\desktop\*.*
    exit

Save the batch file, and setup the Task Scheduler to run the batch file every 10 minutes or so

bwahahaha
    DON'T PANIC

Originally posted by techleet
    Just a theory...
    Enable Active Desktop. Right-click on the desktop and uncheck "Show desktop icons". Run the policy editor (poledit)and disable either Display Properties or right-clicking on the desktop! Could work... in theory...

Worst case scenerio? Throw this into a batch file:
    @echo off
    del /q %userprofile%\desktop\*.*
    exit

Save the batch file, and setup the Task Scheduler to run the batch file every 10 minutes or so

bwahahaha
    Long time no see, nice to see you back on the forum!

just a question on that batch setup you got. will that clear the whole profile, even the defult one i setup? or just add-ins that the user created. and if it does just kill user shortcuts is there any way to make it run the instant a shortcut is created? thanks.

Ok I figured it out! Oh this is badass...

What you want to do is change the permissions on the DESKTOP folder in the user's profile. Take away WRITE permissions!

Here's how:

Login as administrator, open My Computer, browse to Documents and Settings (usually C:\Documents and Settings) and go into the profile of the user account you want to restrict. Right-click on the DESKTOP directory, goto PROPERTIES, SERCURITY tab. Uncheck the "Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object". Select the user account, and clear the check boxes next to Full Control, Modify and Write.

Hit OK and you're done!

oooOOOo I just got goosebumps
    Last edited by techleet; March 12th, 2003 at 08:48 PM.
    DON'T PANIC

Originally posted by Ya_know
    Long time no see, nice to see you back on the forum!
    Thanks man

I know!! I've been busy... too much work, plus my band is about to release a cd so hopefully i'll be a rockstar soon.
    DON'T PANIC

Thanks man

I know!! I've been busy... too much work, plus my band is about to release a cd so hopefully i'll be a rockstar soon.
    Whoa - BOFH to Rockstar...

What band?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Whoa - BOFH to Rockstar...

What band?
    soulorgy. I'm the lead singer (combined with being a BOFH, one can only imagine the depths of my arrogance lol )

The album should be done mid april, and if everything goes well we'll be rolling in cash, h**kers and blow by June.
    Last edited by techleet; March 13th, 2003 at 08:12 PM.
    DON'T PANIC

soulorgy. I'm the lead singer (combined with being a BOFH, one can only imagine the depths of my arrogance lol )

The album should be done mid april, and if everything goes well we'll be rolling in cash, h**kers and blow by June.
    Will you be distributing signed copies for your WD friends?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Will you be distributing signed copies for your WD friends?
    hahaha for you, NooNoo... anything!
    *insert moderator privileges here*

DON'T PANIC

Ok so it's just a little late

Ok the album is FINALLY done. Hilarious. Well, it's only like 4 months behind schedule. Check out some clips at www.soulorgy.com !!
    DON'T PANIC

Nice looking site there... will have a listen tomorrow... is after midnight and I am not allowed to have the volume up now...

Thanks noonoo I'm actually revamping it as we speak. Or type.
    DON'T PANIC