Hi,

I have purchased a GA-7DXR motherboard.

I am currently trying to operate it in a RAID 0 array with 2 X 40Gig IBM
    deskstar drives.

I find that I am unable to install windows 2000 on it and consistently
    get the error..

File \Win2000\Ultra.sys caused and unexpected error(18) at Line 1211 in
    D:\nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

It did however install successfully with Windows98.

I am currently following the procedure as described in the manual...

Setup a stripe array using the FastTrak Lite utility. - Successful

Used fdisk to create a ~80Gig partition - Successful

Formatted the partition with format FAT32 system - Successful

Rebooted the system with Windows2000 disk and booted from the CD -
    Successful

When setup asks "if 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers are to be installed
    push F6", F6 is pushed.- Successful

When windows asks to place the relevant disk in the floppy drive and
    push S - Successful

--I did place the relevant drivers on the floppy from the CD as
    described in the manual.

Windows then asks which driver I wish to install.

I select the Windows2000 FastTrak-Lite Controller Driver

I then get the error as detailed above.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance that anyone could provide.

Hi,

A couple of things you might try:

1. Check Promise's website to see if the BIOS version and the driver version you are using are matched. If no, you can download appropriate drivers.

2. If there is a new driver/BIOS release, you might want to download them. You can flash the BIOS and install the driver updates.

If you have never flashed the BIOS or firmware on any devices before, make sure you read and understand the manufacturer's instructions before you attempt anything. Missteps are often unrecoverable.

One more thing,

Check Promise's FAQs. Some Promise cards have had BIOS space problems with some Giga-byte motherboards. I doubt that this is your problem, though.

This is how I usually install on that board and it is a little time consuming but it works.
    connect one of your drives to the standard ide controller and install from there. when installation is complete boot into OS and install raid controller driver then shut down and connect your drives back to the raid controller and build your array and boor into windows. should work without a hitch, I have done it many times.

rasgal

Angry

DOH! LAMERS!!!!!!

Well, first of all i can tell u this, use the correct driver.. u can't use ultra.sys when using the raid mode on the controller.
    "File \Win2000\Ultra.sys caused and unexpected error(18) at Line 1211 in
    D:\nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\oemdisk.c"

next, u have to use fasttrak.sys, and u can not download the drivers from promise, u Must download them at ur mainboard manufacturer's site.

but, as far as i know u can use the .sys file of an never version from promise.

example:
    U install the drivers from ut mainboard manufacturer, and download the newest version of the fasttrak100 drivers from promise, then u copy the fasttrak.sys into the %drive%:\%sysdir%\system32\drivers dir. reboot, and voila. this should work.
    If not, you're the reason.

enjoy. This goes to those wanna be geeks, don't respond at topics u don't have a clue on....

------------------
    LA LA li(pause)LA LA LA

godofuq

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by rasgal:
    DOH! LAMERS!!!!!!

Well, first of all i can tell u this, use the correct driver.. u can't use ultra.sys when using the raid mode on the controller.
    "File \Win2000\Ultra.sys caused and unexpected error(18) at Line 1211 in
    D:\nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\oemdisk.c"

next, u have to use fasttrak.sys, and u can not download the drivers from promise, u Must download them at ur mainboard manufacturer's site.

but, as far as i know u can use the .sys file of an never version from promise.

example:
    U install the drivers from ut mainboard manufacturer, and download the newest version of the fasttrak100 drivers from promise, then u copy the fasttrak.sys into the %drive%:\%sysdir%\system32\drivers dir. reboot, and voila. this should work.
    If not, you're the reason.

enjoy. This goes to those wanna be geeks, don't respond at topics u don't have a clue on....

</font>
    I was originally going to be sarcastic and lightly malicious when responding to this post but thought it would be best to say what was trully on my mind to be the most constructive. Not everyone on Windrivers knows everything nor do we really believe or express that we do. This is a community where a lot of people with different backgrounds and knowledge come together to help one another. Sure sarcasm is a great thing if it is used properly and directed in the proper sense. To me, your post seemed somewhat degrading and even though it may be very knowledgeable, the spotlight was taken off of the answer and was instead directed towards the attitude portrayed in the post. I would like to welcome you to the Windrivers community but also wanted to let you know that we hope this forum is always contructive and not belittling.

------------------
    I feel like a little worm on a big f*****g hook.

Six Eyed Smily

Well said godofug! sadly i dont have enough time to post much on these forums, but i look through a lot and appreciate the way that people dont belittle those who dont know as much on a given subject as themselves - not all forums are like this.
    rasgul u may know the correct answer to the question but just remeber u dont know evrything and there WILL be someone on here who knows more on some subjects than you. just try to remeber that when posting. you will get a much better response....

------------------
    amd t-bird 1.0Ghz cpu, asus a7v133 motherboard, 384mb cas2 ram, maxtor 7200rpm ata100 20.4gb hd, geforce 2mx 32 mb.
    to save typing (good idea jungleman).