Problem with Bitmaps in Office 97

Thread: Problem with Bitmaps in Office 97

Problem with Bitmaps in Office 97

I had this guy ring me up and he has 6 documents, 1 of which is a word document with a bitmap of a scanned document in there. The other 5 documents have cropped images of the 1st document in them, and this is where the problems start!
    What has happened is the original document bitmap has now turned into a picture of a triangle, a square and a circle. This looks like a default MS bitmap or something. I can get a backup of these files but I would like to know why this happenned in the first place. Just for the record our company is running NT 4 SP6 and Office 97. The images were copied off a disk into word, and were fine before this happened.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that what used to be a picture (bitmap image scan) has now turned into three separate pictures of a triangle, square and a circle?

Clearly bizarre! I've never heard of this before. I'd say two possible explanations. One is you have a virus; the second is that someone was playing with the computer!

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

No, its not three seperate pics - its one pic of a square, triangle and a circle. No, its not a virus, our is scanned daily and apparently one of the techs has seen this before, only he can't remember the solution to the fix.
    Last edited by Wally Simmonds99; February 27th, 2003 at 05:15 PM.

Which release of Office97 do you have? Open any Word document and click on Help...about Micorsoft Word. You should have at least SR2 or above.

How did you add the picture into your Word document? Did you go to Insert/Picture/from file? This is the preferred way of doing it. I just did it with a bitmap file with no problems. If you're copying the pic from a floppy, don't forget to give it time to transfer the data...you know, floppies are really slow at that.

Once you insert the pic, don't forget to Save it.
    Last edited by DonJ; February 27th, 2003 at 05:42 PM.

Yeah it was fine (the transfer went okay).
    Basically I didnt' do the transfer, a guy that our company supports did.
    Whats actually happened is this bitmap has just changed out of the blue. It looks like a default windows bmp, but who knows?

Perhaps I am overlooking the obvious, but when you say 'default windows bitmap' what exactly do you mean? Is there a place where I can go to see what one looks like?

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I think he means the icon for a picture. Like the one you see holding the place on a web page before the picture loads. tht is what they look like. It possibly it is in a format that word97 cannot save and open. Are you sure it was a bitmap?
    Last edited by techs; February 27th, 2003 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks for your help guys, looks like its just a blow up image of the 'file is missing' icon, which is really wierd. In all honesty I think some users might have been having a play and screwed it up, so basically Im taking the easy option and restoring from backup.

Gottcha Techs,

Sounds to me like a file association problem. In other words the program that is supposed to open the .bmp is not correctly associatiated with bmp.

I don't use Windows 2000 so I can't show you the steps, however if you look in the Windows 2000 help menu and go to the index and look under 'file" and/or 'associations' you can probably find the answer.

Orangeman

....I guess this post came too late, you fixed it without me.

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; March 1st, 2003 at 04:15 AM.
    Bouncy Bouncy