Installed new DVD-R drive, but my computer won't recognise it

Thread: Installed new DVD-R drive, but my computer won't recognise it

Installed new DVD-R drive, but my computer won't recognise it

hi there.

i need help in a weird problem.

i got win98 se.

i just installed a new internal DVDR drive into my computer. i have now a DVD drive and a DVD-R drive.

the DVD-R drive is the new pioneer dvr 105, which, according to the manufacturer, install automatically, no drivers needed. (there aren't any drivers available anyway)

this was true until a certain point.

for some reason my computer won't recognise the old DVD-drive and does not fully recognise the newly installed DVD-R drive.

by this i mean, my DVD drive can't be found, but my DVD-R dirve is found, but it won't recognise any DVD/CD.

i used the "add new hardware" app in the control panel to locate new hardware, but it failed to find any.

is there any other way for me to proceed and find the drives so that the computer recognises them too?

all support would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Assuming the ribbon cables are connected correctly, are the jumpers both set to master on both drives or have you set one as a slave and one as a master? What does your bios see?

the cables are installed correctly.

can't answer your master/slave question yet as i need more guidance on where to look for that info.

i went to the bios and saw that both drives were there, the dvd drive in IDE1 and the DVD-R drive in IDE3.

so the computer indeed has registered both drives. i can see this even from the system profile (control panel).

but the problem remains. when i try to access the drives using windowns explorer, i can only see the D:\ drive (DVD). the E:\ drive (DVD-R) is still missing. when i insert a cdrom into the D:\ drive, winsdows recognises it, but shows nothing in the explorer view. it only shows there is a disc inside, but no content (no matter wich cdrom or dvd i insert).

however, i can say that the computer really knows both drives. for instance, when i'm browsing the interenet and choose to look for a previous URL in the address bar (the small arrow that when clicked lists previously typed url's) the computer accesses both dvd drives. this has always happened to me, as if the computer checks if there are url's in the drives' discs...

is there any application in windows or else that can help me identify the problem?

all advice would be most appreciated. thanks in advance!

You might have a motherboard that needs things set for " Cable Select ", in which case you need to set the drives for that with the jumper in the back of the units, usually between the signal cable and the sound output, marked " cs ". Try that, and let us know what you get...
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Re: Installed new DVD-R drive, but my computer won't recognise it

Originally posted by raaka-kake
    hi there.

i need help in a weird problem.

i got win98 se.

i just installed a new internal DVDR drive into my computer. i have now a DVD drive and a DVD-R drive.

the DVD-R drive is the new pioneer dvr 105, which, according to the manufacturer, install automatically, no drivers needed. (there aren't any drivers available anyway)

this was true until a certain point.

for some reason my computer won't recognise the old DVD-drive and does not fully recognise the newly installed DVD-R drive.

by this i mean, my DVD drive can't be found, but my DVD-R dirve is found, but it won't recognise any DVD/CD.

i used the "add new hardware" app in the control panel to locate new hardware, but it failed to find any.

is there any other way for me to proceed and find the drives so that the computer recognises them too?

all support would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance!
    Your said you have to DVD drives? ones a DVD drive and the other is a DVD/Writer?

or is it you have a CD rom Drive and a DVD writer or drive?

either way if its a writer on the back of the drives there's a jumper Master, Slave, Cable select, the writer drive set to master the other to slave.

Originally posted by Guts3d
    You might have a motherboard that needs things set for " Cable Select ", in which case you need to set the drives for that with the jumper in the back of the units, usually between the signal cable and the sound output, marked " cs ". Try that, and let us know what you get...
    hi again!

yup, that was it. indeed it was just a matter of changing the jumber to slave.

there was no manual with the drive, therefore i did not know how to solve this problem. thanks to this forum, things are working now!