Com ports not working on my ASUS P2B

Thread: Com ports not working on my ASUS P2B

Question Com ports not working on my ASUS P2B

Hi,
    I just upgraded my OS to windows XP, from windows 98. I have a ASUS P2B motherboard with a Pentium II 350 processor. Since I upgraded both my com ports don't work (error code 43), I've reinstalled both with no luck, and have searched Microsofts knowledge base with no luck. I've been to the ASUS website and checked for a BIOS update (there is one) has anyone run across this before? and will updating my BIOS help? Thanks in advance!!

When you upgraded to XP did you do a clean install or simply upgrade your present one?
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

I used the Home Edition upgrade

You can still do a clean install regardless. Just have your Win98 CD ready to go when prompted.

Chances are that will fix your problem. Upgrading from Win98/ME to XP can cause a myriad of issues. I know it's a pain, but you'll be much better off in the long run. You may actually even find it to be a quicker solution than pulling your hair out for days or weeks on something like this.

Just my two cents worth...

Thumbs up

Thanks,
    I've been working on this for a week now, I almost went and bought a new computer.

No need to do that!

I can't tell you how much time I wasted in my younger days trying to fix stuff like that. More often than not you wind up reformatting and re-installing anyway. It's not worth it.

Just set your BIOS to boot off of your CD-ROM and then boot off of your XP Upgrade disk. At some point during the install you'll be asked to insert your Win98 CD for verification purposes. Once that's done the rest is pie.

Good luck...