[RESOLVED] What should I do with the *.vir files

Thread: [RESOLVED] What should I do with the *.vir files

haipham

Resolved [RESOLVED] What should I do with the *.vir files

I had virus in my computer (a bad one w95.cih), I cleaned them with Norton anti-virus program. What should I do with all the *.vir (I think the infected files which Norton program saved them). I also have another hard drive which also infected, should I connect it along with the clean one and format it to clean the virus?

Thanks

Lightbulb

It's my understanding that if NAV cannot successfully "clean" a file, it'll tag the critter with a .VIR extension. You'd better delete the suckers to prevent recurrence...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

You can also hang on to the file in the off chance that a definition update may include the ability to repair the damage. Sometimes if a virus is new a definition set may have the ability to detect but not repair, and the repair capability may be added later on after the virus has been studied more closely.

yoda knight

The problem with Cats' reply is that Norton DOESN'T seem interested in old virii that they couldn't "cure". I had this same virus 2 years ago, and todate it seems they still don't have a cure for it. If your system seems fine without these files, delete them!
    You could check the log file to see what the original extension on the files were, and then get clean copies from another machine and replace them.

------------------
    "Never trust a man who doesn't drink beer !"