way to stop foggy windows
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: way to stop foggy windows

Hybrid View

way to stop foggy windows

the wife's kia fogs up to no end. was always an issue but I would just put the window down to equalize temps between outside and inside then put it back up. now with a little one riding in back, I'm reluctant to do that especially in the winter early spring time. anyone have any good and easy treatments for this kind of problem. I know there are a bunch of car people here.

the condensation occurs on the inside of the windows, just for reference.

thanks
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

When running the defrosters pull air from the outside (as opposed to recirculating). It's worked for me.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Turn the AC on for a minute or two ( yes, even in winter with the heat on ). It sucks out the excess moisture from the inside. The windows clear up almost instantaneously. It tends to last a decent amount of time as long as you keep the air moving in the cabin.

My new car actually "automatically" turns on my AC when I turn my defroster on.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Up here I run the defroster all the time in the winter and never have problem wiht fogging, and you can play with the temp of the defrost too
    I like trafic lights

I remember when my wife had our son, I was in the process of tearing out the dash on her Neon to replace the evaporator core, and going back and forth it took me almost 4 days to complete. The dealership charges a minimum of 8 hours to do a job like this, so I knew I had my work cut out for me.

The reason I bring that up--does the air conditioning in the car work? That system is what is used to defog the windshield, even if you turn the temp to high heat. Normally when a car fogs up with the defroster on it means that the cooling side of the AC isn't up to snuff.

If it isn't that, then it is just a poorly designed car, kind of like the Neon. Ours finally blew the head gasket, so I had to limp it in as a trade in for a new car with a warrantee. I hope to never get under the hood of her car again!!!

Additionally, you could try mixing things up with the settings, definitely don’t try running on full heat, floor only, you have to run the defoger…

Banned
    Down here in the armpit of the world, windows are frosted over almost everymorning. Damn humidity. Just make sure that A/C is cranked, I learned that the hard way.

Also, do you smoke? I found that smoking in your car causes the chances of fogging to go up big time. Guess it is the nice thick layer of tar on the window(just like my lungs)

There are also solutions that you can apply to the inside of windows. I don't know of any off hand, but the auto parts store should have a line on some good products...

I found this article, thought it was interesting...

De-icing and Defogging in passenger car

theres some people who use vegy oil on the windows, this works but it sux if it rains..

my WRX all I do is let the heater on or a/c pop the vent and heavy fogged windows is gone is seconds

Originally posted by Cleetus
    Down here in the armpit of the world, windows are frosted over almost everymorning. Damn humidity. Just make sure that A/C is cranked, I learned that the hard way.

Also, do you smoke? I found that smoking in your car causes the chances of fogging to go up big time. Guess it is the nice thick layer of tar on the window(just like my lungs)
    kato2274, you better not be smokin' around that new born!!!

You could get the windscreens that are heated... some of the higher end fords had them in the UK, Easy Peasy, no scraping, switch on engine hit button less than 1 minute later, clear windscreen.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

They make anti fog stuff for Scuba masks maybe you could order or find at a sporting goods store.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/defoggers/review.shtml

I would think this stuff would work and not too expensive

Pimps in da' front..... Ho's in da' back..... and Chumps in da' Trunk!

"A One that is not cold, is scarcely a One at all." StrongBad

i switched the vent system from re-circulate to fresh air, and ran the A/C along with the defrost. seemed to work better at least on my short trip to the store. I'll give it a go for a few days, and then maybe look into something I can apply to the inside of the windows.

the car is poorly designed, but it's what we could afford at the time, it hasn't been a BAD car, but I wouldn't buy it again if I had the chance to do things all over again.

and definately no smoking here. Neither my wife or I do. she's never even tried a cigarette. I smoked for about 1 month in high school to be cool before I realized how ridiculous it was and how much I DIDN'T enjoy it.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Originally posted by NooNoo
    You could get the windscreens that are heated... some of the higher end fords had them in the UK, Easy Peasy, no scraping, switch on engine hit button less than 1 minute later, clear windscreen.
    NooNoo - nearly every car in america has those...at least for the rear. For the front, though, I think they would be illegal, as to be effective the lines would have to go below the ASI line...anyway, the A/C is the best defogger, but some of those sprays are pretty good at preventing fogging. Something else I've noticed is that parking the car under a carport or in a garage drastically reduces the occurence of fog, inside or outside the windows.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

Originally posted by goinpostal
    They make anti fog stuff for Scuba masks maybe you could order or find at a sporting goods store.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/defoggers/review.shtml

I would think this stuff would work and not too expensive

yeah called spit

Archangel...they do have those front heated windshields/windscreens on this side of the pond! Have you noticed some of the late model Crown Vics having a goldish tint to the windshield? Thats one of them....without lines! And whatever you do...don't get the inside Rain-x and the outside ones mixed up....you'll wish you just had the fogging windows.......
    #3 1951-2001