Sound Card/PCI Device Driver Problems
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sound Card/PCI Device Driver Problems

Exclamation Sound Card/PCI Device Driver Problems

Here is My Problem:

About 2 months ago I bought a headset that I was going to use with Roger Wilco. When I plugged the headset in my computer froze then crashed. I didn't think that plugging in that headset would crash my comp. because it doesn't send out any signal.

Well my computer crashed, and after a lot of work on trying to figure out what it was I got my computer up and running again but now I have no sound.

The only way I am able to boot up my computer is to disable the PCI Device, which is not working propery because it says that the drivers for the device are not installed. My sound card is working fine but I cannot re-install the PCI device drivers.

What the hell am i supposed to do. I just want sound back on my computer..

Please Hel Me.

Akira
    WinXP is the hellspawn of Satan!

http://linkroom.com/D3/Pic03/RisingSon_AKRA.GIF

Need a lot more information

Is the sound onboard or a proper pci card?

What windows version?

Is this a branded computer (eg compaq, tiny, hp) ?

Where does this pci device appear, device manager or are you disabling something in bios?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

aiite...

Sound is a proper PCI card

im using Windows XP

Computer is a Gateway PentiumIV

and the PCI device appears in the Hardware Device Manager...that is how I disable it

-1-

OK, the last time I looked Gateway had about 20 different P4 models out and there are about 200 pci sound cards.

Could you please narrow it down a bit for me?

11 possible sound drivers here or do the update at the bottom.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Silly question...

Before you start scrambling for drivers and pulling your hair out, have you tried System Restore?
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

hahahaha

yes....i am not a moron

i even installed a new version of Windows....but to no avail

and the Soundcard is a Creative Labs Soundblaster Live!

-1-

Sorry... had to ask. You'd be amazed how many people have banged their head against the wall for days before giving that a try.

So just out of curiosity, how do you know your sound card is still good if you can't install the drivers for it? Have you tried it in another system?

Did you do a repair or a clean install of XP? Have you tried moving the card to a different PCI slot?

clean install

i upgraded from XP home to XP professional

I havent tried switching slots yet

and i know my soundcard works because i ran multiple tests on it and it says it is working properly..

-1-

o yea...

and is switchin PCI slots as easy as i think it is?

run it by me how you would go about doing that..

-1-

It's easy to do (assuming of course you have an empty slot). However I'm starting to get the feeling that may not do too much for you (although it's certainly worth a shot).

It sounds like you really didn't do a clean install, but rather did an upgrade. Is that correct? If so, reformatting your HD and then re-installing a fresh copy of WinXP might be the way to go.

The thing that bothers me however, is that WinXP does have native drivers for the SB Live!. The fact that the OS isn't recognizing the card and attempting to install the drivers for it might suggest that there's a problem with the card itself. I've seen many multimedia cards go belly-up this way. Windows will detect it as a mutimedia device, but will no longer recognize the exact type of card it is, which prevents the proper drivers from installing.

I don't know if possible for you to try, but before taking drastic action (such as a re-format), I would either try the suspect card in a different PC, or try a known good sound card in your PC. Of course if you don't have access to either this won't be an option.

Originally posted by Akira
    o yea...

and is switchin PCI slots as easy as i think it is?

run it by me how you would go about doing that..

-1-
    Uninstall any drivers pertaining to the sound card (preferably in safe mode) Uninstall any other unknown or unidentified or duplicated hardware while you are at it in there. Shut down.

Open cover, remove pci card (don't for get the screw holding the bracket in and remove the plugs from the jacks first and the wire from the cd rom).

Now at this point you can either move the card to a new slot immediately, or boot to windows so that windows is booted without the sound card and should update the registry accordingly, then shut down and replace the sound card in the chosen pci slot.

When fitting pci cards, make sure that you have the edge connectors correctly aligned over the slot and the bracket aligned properly before apply even but firm pressure to push the card home. When you have seated the card, the bracket should be lined up with the screw hole and the bracket should be touching the case. Also look at the edge connectors in the pci slot, you should only be able to see the very tops of them at best.

When you are certain you have the card correctly seated, reconnect the jacks and the cdrom wire and put the cover back on and boot to windows.

yea I did completely re-format my computer

Deleted the HD and partitions.

I just did that lst night and it still didn't recognize anything.

When I go to the PCI device in my device manager it has that little yellow exclamation mark next to it signifying that there is an error with the PCI Device(driver?)

I will try switching slots and I hope that works as long as I dont screw it up in the process.

What I don't get is that I download the Drivers for my sound card but when I go to install them it either doesnt let me or I still have the same porblem. That is why I dont think it is the sound card but rather the PCI device..

-1-

What error is showing on the pci device?

If this is a creative card it will often create two separate device types. Your mystery pci device is probably part of your sound card setup.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the SB Live is showing up in the Device Manager PLUS this mysterious PCI Device?

If I'm gauging your situation correctly, that PCI Device IS your SB Live! card and Windows is no longer recognizing it as such. This is why I think your card may be toast. Like I said earlier, I've seen many multimedia cards fail in this manor, so that would not be unusual.

Of course if your SB Live! is showing up in the Device Manager as well as an additional unknown device than I'm off base and we have a new ballgame.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    If this is a creative card it will often create two separate device types. Your mystery pci device is probably part of your sound card setup.
    In other words the game port. Good call, I didn't even think of that for some reason. Now things are starting to make more sense.

All still leaves me to believe his sound card is playing harps right now.