Sound Card/PCI Device Driver Problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sound Card/PCI Device Driver Problems

My SB Live! gameport shows up in my device manager..

The PCI device is under my Other Devices tree and just says 'PCI DEVICE'

It doesn't say an error it just has that little exclamation mark. When I click on properties it say it isnt working correctly and that the drivers for this device are not installed.

The PCI device uses the same bus and slot as my SB Live! card.

-1-
    WinXP is the hellspawn of Satan!

http://linkroom.com/D3/Pic03/RisingSon_AKRA.GIF

Hmmm...

So both your SB Live! and your game port show up in the Device Manager as healthy IN ADDITION to this mysterious PCI Device? Now I'm confused again.

So I take it this mystery device was nowhere to be found before your PC blew a gasket?
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

i dont know...

it might have been but i never looked in my device manager because i wasnt having any problems...

All I know is that i had it fixed once and my dumb *** had to try and get the headset to work again...it crashed my computer again and I had the same problem...only thing is that this time i cant fix it.

My SB Live! Gameport shows up but not the SB Live! soundcard....is the Gameport and Soundcard both supposed to show?

I have re-installed my Creative Labs software numerous times it is just this PCI device that is ****ing with my computer. I dont know what this PCI device does all I know is that it is in the same place as my soundcard and when it is enabled my computer wont start up

-1-

My pci 512 from creative set it self up as two separate entities. One was the sound card, game port, midi and stuff, the other was a kind of controller for the dos emulation and midi channels.

I think the pci device is the controller for the dos emulation etc. I think Mr Wilhelm is likely to be right, it is toast, or at the very least needs removing and reseating having uninstalled the sb live software and drivers and removing the devices from device manager, including your pci device.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

aiite

ill try that...i am at school right now so i dont have access to my computer...

i was gonna buy a new soundcard anyway because mine is just tha same old stock one that comes with tha comp....

i hope that works but if it doesnt oh well...its only sound ryte?

-1-

Yes, both the game port and the SB Live! should show up in the Device Manager. So the mystery device that's showing up is almost certainly your SB Live!. I'm glad we finally got that part straightened out!

What this more than likely means is that WinXP is detecting your card but not recognizing it as a SB Live!. This is almost certainly why the drivers for it won't install.

I would remove all traces of drivers and software from Safe Mode, pull the card, then re-install it in a different PCI slot. After booting up, WinXP should detect it as a SB Live! and install the native drivers for it. You could then install your 3rd party Creative drivers.

However, if you get the same thing and Windows only installs your game port, it may be time to raise the white flag and start the RMA process.

aiite

yea that is making sense because I had no idea what this PCI device was and why it was there. That makes a lot of sense too.

I am soo happy that there are Hardware guys like you out there. I do software/Web design/Graphic Design so I know a lot about computers but not as much on the hardware level..

Thanks again...I will be back in a couple hours to tell you if this worked or not..

-1-

I'm reasonably certain your card is history. I've seen several of these types of failures before, and it's almost always because the hardware went south. My kids TV tuner card just went the same way. Suddenly after a reboot it no longer showed up as an Hauppage WinTV, but as a mystery Multimedia Device. Naturally the drivers wouldn't install. I RMA'd the card and now all is well.

BTW, if you have a true SB Live! in your system don't poo poo it as some stock piece of dung. It may be getting a little long in the tooth, but it's still considered a high end product and is still a very, very good card. You'd have to spend big bucks on an Audigy line card to do better IMO, so if it's still under warranty it's definitely worth RMAing.

AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

all I have to say is that you guys are some smart *** people...

THANK YOU MR WILHELM...IT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID

I switched slots and rebooted and it worked fine...THANK YOU!

Too bad I didn't talk to you before. I lost everything on my computer but at least my sound works now!

Thank you again!

Akira

Actually I would have bet the farm your card was fried, so I'm not that smart! I'm glad you got it running though.

I'm guessing it just needed to be re-seated and the little bit of movement in the card caused by plugging in your headset was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I had a badly seated Ensoniq card show up as a mystery device in a PC I worked on a while back. I should have remembered that.

So if you're feeling particularly bold you could try your headset again (no guarantees on the outcome though)!

lol...yea

now im just wondering why the headset would have done that to my soundcard...

Wierd thing is that my friend and I bought ours at the same time and the exact same thing happened to his....

I called the headset company and they told me that their product didnt do it because there was no possible way that it could have...

idk

-1-

Originally posted by Akira
    now im just wondering why the headset would have done that to my soundcard...
    Actually I offered up a theory on that in my last post but I guess you didn't catch it.

Basically I think your sound card was poorly seated meaning some of the connections were possibly teetering on the brink of losing conductivity. The act of plugging in your headset my have shifted the card just enough to lose said conductivity on a connector or two.

Of course that doesn't explain why your friend had a similar problem and it is just a guess, but it's extremely plausible as I see it happen all the time.

that would cause my comp to crash?

Oh yeah... pushing on a poorly seated card while your PC is running can easily be a one-way ticket to Blue Screen City. Take my word for it.

It's all just guesswork on my part though, so take it for what it's worth.

Does the headset have its own amplifier? Did you plug the headset it with the computer running?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."