Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sound Card/PCI Device Driver Problems

yea the headset has its own amp

and yes i plugged it in whiole the computer was still running

-1-
    WinXP is the hellspawn of Satan!

http://linkroom.com/D3/Pic03/RisingSon_AKRA.GIF

A thought, and a suggestion....

Your headset - has it got a volume control?

The reason I ask is that I've seen headsets with a volume control that attenuates ACROSS the input rather than in series with it. In fact with PC headsets this is not uncommon, particularly the cheaper ones. With most PC headphone outputs there is no problem as they are protected against short-circuits. (the socket is usually fed through capacitors as protection.) If the headphone socket on your card does not have short-circuit protection, AND your headset volume control IS across the input, then plugging in could cause a dead short which would force the card to crowbar (shut down very fast) = instant blue screen & probable driver corruption. It could also damage the card.

I don't know whether SB cards are protected.

I suggest you try plugging in a headset from a walkman & see if that works OK - obviously the type without a volume contol.

I just saw you latest post. As the headset is amplified it almost certainly WILL attenuate across the input! Maybe SB cards don't have short circuit protection on the output!
    Last edited by Atodini; March 11th, 2003 at 10:19 AM.
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

well i know the headset works fine. I tried it in my MD and I could hear like normal.

Also after I fixed my sound card problem I decided to plug my headset back in. It didnt crash my computer or do anything with my sound but now it wont work. Matter of fact my regular headphones dont even work, which is odd. All I get is a barely audible static sound. The speakers work fine but when I plug the headphones in I don't get any sound.

Now I dont know what is up..

-1-

There's a good possibility that you've blown something!

Almost all headphone outputs have protection on them, which is why many headset manufacturers put the volume control across the input. I guess the headphone socket on your card is not. If the headset works fine elsewhere, and your headphones do to but don't on the card then I really do think you've blown something!

with my soundcard there is no unique headphones input

I have to take out my speaker input and use that for my headphones input...so i know that the jack works fine

-1-

That means the speaker out is amplified.... did your speakers used to work with or without power?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The signal to noise ratio (gain) on speaker amplifiers is far, far higher than that on headset amps. It may just be that the output voltage on the card is now too low to trigger the headset amplifier.

The usual voltage range for a PCI sound card speaker output is in the area of 0.2 volts, but SB cards (and most older ISA cards) usually deliver 10 times this! - in the area of 2 volts so non-amplified speakers can be used!!