Where do you work?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do you work?

Where do you work?

Do you work in a small company, large corporate environment, for yourself, not at all?

Which environment do you prefer and why?

I work in a family owned business and in a corporate environment. The family business means I will never be promoted but any family member will instantly be my boss on their 1st day so that sucks. The corporate job is like the playground filled with idiots who can't do their own jobs but somehow get promoted (probably to get them out of the dept they are screwing up presently) while the bright people get stuck in a rut.

i work for a family owned business. 2 brothers and a mom and dad, but the dad is rarely in the office. he mostly does real estate. the 2 brothers are like spoiled little kids, sit on thier @sses all day and b!tch and moan when they have to do something. jesus christ, you b@stards get $30 an hour to play on the net all day. what do you have to b!tch about?

but it does have some perks. i get all kinds of holidays off. we took flag day off last year, it was fun. everyone is so relaxed most of the time. they don't care if i'm late, just call and let someone know. or if i want a day off its no problem.
    take care and tempt not the fates

I work in a corporate and I mean corporate enviroment. I work at the corporate offices for one of the largest lumber pro (read contractors) retailers in the US. *cough*84lumber*cough* been here 2 years and 1 day. the policies here suck a$$ only 5 personal days a year (sick or vacation) and it takes forever to get one week of vacation - like 3 years or something. anyway fortunately my supervisor knows how crappy things are so when I need time off after my days are used up, he just doesn't turn anything in, after all I could just be working midnight or weekend. I just took two solid weeks off when we had all those problems with Aidan being in childrens hospital and I suspect that I'll probably get paid for the time despite having used up my days with doctors appointments when the wife was pregnant and when she went into labor.

It's been a good experience overall but if I worked in any other department for any other supervisor here I'd probably shoot myself. If I don't get promoted once I finish classes I'll probably move on.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Banned
    Smack dab in the middle of corporate america. I am the only one that the upper echelon of execs will allow to work on their stuff. And yet, I am the least paid tech company wide!!!!! Hopefully, something will come up in Dallas in two months.

Never done the retail route, and from what I have heard, don't ever want to.

Used to be at Briggs and Stratton.

now I'm at Johnson Controls working for HP.

I guess you could say that i work for small corp.s
    It's good to be the King.

Riverside County Flood Control
    I work for the government..im a suit

I am my own boss.... well apart from hubby and the kids and the relatives...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Started here as a bench tech in 1997. It was a large retail corp that had no respect for techs. It was nice stepping stone and I learned a lot about people but I wouldn't want to go back.

Moved here following my first M$ cert. Got a lot of experience and certs. Medium sized company, good people but, got sick of traveling and found a cushy job here. First big gig with good money. I was a domain admin there, yay. Unfortunately, there was little challenge, too much politics and I ot bored sooo,

I quit Bell and did 1099 work for awhile. Now I'm in the process of incorporating and will start subcontracting stuff out to other techs/engineers this year. Working for yourself is by far more challenging, more rewarding, and less sleep than doing it for someone else.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Tattoo addict
    I work for a small privately owned business
    (less than 100 people)
    we are a mobile co that repairs broken into cars for insurance companies,I work from home and use a Mail-Boxes-etc for shipping and recieving.I never see my boss and I don't even see any co-workers,I don't have to put up with office politics,etc,etc.
    they pay for a co vehicle & ins & gas card,and extra phone line here,fax line,cell phone,and great benefits.
    it fits me perfect because I have never done well in an office atmosphere,with my job,I am either here at home or out in the field at insureds homes or schools or businesses working on their car.I have worked there for 8 years and have been in this business for 24,I like doing it,that is a big + I think.
    I am a shorts and t-shirt person.

I have done the corporate thing in a huge co,I did'nt like it.

this job pays quite well and gives me endless freedom.

here is our site> www.premiereusa.com
    Last edited by crazyman; March 13th, 2003 at 06:08 PM.

I work for a medium sized Family owned corporation of Foundries. Grede Foundries to be exact.

It has been a great job while I am in college. For awhile it has been boring, but now that I am going to be automating the plant and writing software for it. So it looks like Octavian will be having some fun playing.
    Last edited by ±Octavian; March 13th, 2003 at 07:05 PM.
    Faith is the substance of things not known and the Evidence of things not seen.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    workin' for myself. :-)
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

I work for one of the largest companies in the world. It has its pros and cons like any other job. On the down side, in order to make IT consistent amongst all our facilities, most things are very scripted for the techs. Thinking outside the box is really not necessary, but every now and then such ideas are used. The job is not very challenging. On the plus side, I have plenty of time to self train, the pace is very relaxed, we make pretty good money, have good benefits, and thanks in part to our pension, I should retire at age 57. I sure can not complain about all that. When I want a challenge, I play with my computers at home.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

I work for the 2nd largest bank in the US and the fifth largest in the world.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

I work for Canada's largest mechanical engineering firm. We design building mechanical systems. We have 200 employees across North America, and I work in one of the smallest offices with only 5 people. I started in our Toronto office with only 6 people in 1997 and when I transferred to our Ottawa office five years later, the Toronto office had grown to 20+. 90% of my time at work is doing engineering, but I handle the tech support and IT work for the eastern half of the continent on the side.

I work for the 3rd largest bank in my region. It's corporate, oh yeah. Luckily enough I was able to get in mid "ladder" so I don't have 200 bosses. I answer to two people, then the President.

I have my own cushy office with my own door and my own window overlooking Mecca (Dunkin Donuts) - what more could I ask for?
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain