Music distorts when played

Thread: Music distorts when played

Question Music distorts when played

I am running XP Pro SP1 with AMD Athlon 946 Mhz &
    256 MB of RAM..... I have a CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device

My problem is that when I am playing any type of music/sound
    through any media player I get very distorted (Wobbly) playback and when I move the cursor or move from screen to screen it gets wobbly/distorted.
    I also get an I.E. Script Error that pops up when almost everytime I play anything through REALONE and I have to continuously hit the YES button to make it go away.

Does anybody have any idea whats happening to my computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Had this problem on my VIA PLE133 board with onboard. Turned out the DMA/IDE drivers were incorrect, running the Via 4 in 1 driver sorted it out. Thats if you've got a VIA board.

Yes www.viaarena.com for the via hyperion 4 in 1 drivers first of all, followed by the update for the cmedia sound available at windows update.

The script error is because real player is trying to launch internet explorer. Real player reports back everything you do in real player. You can turn this off in preferences
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question what's a VIA board?

All I know is my board is an Elite k7s5a with SiS 5598/6326
    I'm a little novice at this stuff so please bear with me.
    All I want is to hear clear music again!!

Thanks for your help!!

Rob

Ha. Indeed. Well, youd better get off to the SIS website and look for some new drivers then. http://www.sis.com will set you straight (hopefully).

OK, you didn't mention what windows you are running.

I have done a little research on that board and there are many bios updates - including one for updating the sound. This may have a bearing on your problem.

Can you tell us when this problem started, or has it always sounded like this? Have you tried different sources of music, for instance, mp3, ram, or from cd? Do they all sound the same?

You should also update your sound drivers... click here for the sound drivers You will see there are two sets for the 8378 - some times the older vxd type drivers are better for a system than the wdm.

You have to search for the ide chipset driver for the 735 chipset at sis - I cannot link directly
    This is how to install the ide drivers

If you need a hand with this in realtime, you may want to pop into the chat room.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

HELP!!!!!!

I went to the sound driver website and dowloaded the new drivers for the 8738 like you suggested, but it says I need to insert a CD "can not find the next volume"
    There are 3 seperate downloads to this update.
    What cd are they talking about???
    By the way I'm running XP Pro SP1 as I stated in my very first help message.

Where do I go from here NooNoo?????

HELP Cont..

By the way I already went to the SiS website and updated my IDE drivers with them yesterday.
    Problem still there whether I play mp3 or CD still.

Thank you for all your help guys!!

Re: HELP!!!!!!

Originally posted by robqx4
    I went to the sound driver website and dowloaded the new drivers for the 8738 like you suggested, but it says I need to insert a CD "can not find the next volume"

Your windows cd perhaps... I didnt have this problem. You don't need the audio rack or the demo, but it doesn't hurt to have them.

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus

Re: HELP!!!!!!

Originally posted by robqx4

Sounds like the new drivers are looking for the original motherboard setup CD. Try inserting it into the CD-ROM drive and updating the drivers. Worth a try.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    Or you could try downloading the drivers for the onboard sound from here - http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/drivers_sound.html
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren