What is going on?

Thread: What is going on?

What is going on?

I have a pc that was using a cable connection, it was running fine up until a few days ago. All of a sudden it will not connect to the internet. All of the settings are correct, and the cable company assures me it is not on their end. I did try a new NIC, and no luck....any ideas?

Reboot? What are your tcp/ip settings? What O.S.? release and renew tcp/ip. Shut down PC and cable modem, restart cable modem, wait till it is all lit up then restart PC.

Need more info here.

If the cable modem assigns itself to the mac address of the nic
    then a new nic would have to be assigned to the cable modem by connecting to the sas server of the cable company..and you generally have to call the cable company to do that. Some cable companies use that as a way to control the number of computers connected to a cable modem. Do you have a router btw?
    Usually a non connect situation can be solved by what asm481 suggested. Shut down the pc..unplug..not just shut off..the cable modem for about 2 minutes..plug in the modem and restart the computer

ok here's the spec's. (not my computer by the way) Windows Me, TCP/IP has five different items..one dial up, one for the ethernet, and 3 none is listed. I tried to dump one of the settings to clear it up and the computer freezes, it also freezes when I try to release and renew an IP addy. It also freezes if I try to do a system restore. This is the only computer in their house, no router.

KaZaa, new.net, or Imesh?

Improperly uninstalled, this will bring the tcp/ip to its knees.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

he has installed Kazaa, along with Stop Sign bundled in (which I hear is hell)

start>run>msconfig>startup...uncheck every thing but system tray and reboot...run msconfig and ad back each item 'til ya narrow it down to the culprit...time consuming but effective

can you ping anything? If so then you gotta redo tcp/ip. If not then you gotta redo tcp/ip.

To redo tcp/ip just unistall all nics in the system and reboot the computer. It "should" install everything fresh again but who knows after all it is Windows ME that we are talking about here
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert