[RESOLVED] Need help with new ide controller card

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need help with new ide controller card

sykoone

Post Need help with new ide controller card

I am trying to install a ide controller card on my system. I already have a primary and secondary controller on the board. Is there any way to reset the IRQ addresses on one of them so I can set the IRQ address on the card (third controller) to 14 or 15?

jeffc

if you are using win 95 or 98 try control panel - settings - system - device manager, highlight the card and manually enter the properties there. This should identify any conflicts. Always backup your data before trying anything like this of course.

Alternative 1 > buy a cheap 486, run win95 and put a network card in each and store your files on the lower end machine.

Alternative 2 > external Iomega Zip or Jaz drive.

Alternative 3 > Install a cheap SCSI controller - this will allow 6 devices to be configured including HDD, CD, Scanner(s) etc

cheers

jeffc

If you already have two IDE controllers fully utilized and need a third, you should look seriously at the wattage of your power supply and calculate what all your hardware is drawing. Underpowering your hardware is not good for its health. If it is hard drive space you are after, larger hard drives might be a healthier investment than more hard drives.