XP Password Change Fails on Windows 2k Domain

Thread: XP Password Change Fails on Windows 2k Domain

XP Password Change Fails on Windows 2k Domain

Hello all,

We recently introduced about eight new Windows XP Professional SP1 PC’s into our Windows domain (Domain Server runs Windows 2000 Server SP3). Everything seems to be working fine and all of the machines are working well together; however, we require users to change their passwords every sixty days and now the XP machines will not change the users passwords. Okay here’s some more detail:

The user logs in on a Windows XP box and the standard Windows message comes up saying you need to change your password in X days, do you want to do it now. If they click yes and try to change it, it will say you do not have permission to change your password. Now if the user performs the same operation on a regular Windows 2000 SP3 workstation (remember we have a mixed bag here) the operation works fine. Now to make things even weirder, if the user clicks “No, I do not want to change it now,” and then logs into Windows normally (on XP again), upon logging in performs the three finger salute <Ctrl><alt><Del> and clicks “Change Password” he/she can change the password without any problems.

So in summary the XP machines will only not allow a password to be changed at the main login where it gives you the option to change your password now since it’s expiring soon. I have looked around but I am not quite sure what would make it react this way here, but upon logging in allow the users to change their password.

If anyone has experienced this problem, or can help me resolve this issue it would be greatly appreciated! It’s just pretty annoying to tell users, completely login, than change your password.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Bill

Question resolved on my own... After weeks of searching I have finally resolved this issue. The "Additional restrictions for anonymous connections" was enabled in the Domain Security Policy. After removing this restriction users were then able to change their passwords on Windows XP machines.

Thanks.

Originally posted by psuwtb

Thanks.
    No, thank you for coming back and sharing your discovery!