Phillips Dynamic Edge 4.1 - No sound period.

View Poll Results: Should I go to Philips Company HQ?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with torches and pitchforks!

1 33.33%
  • Yes, with a guerilla squad.

1 33.33%
  • Yes, with disgruntled postal workers and techs.

1 33.33%
  • No, they're not that evil.

0 0%

Thread: Phillips Dynamic Edge 4.1 - No sound period.

Angry Phillips Dynamic Edge 4.1 - No sound period.

Okay, I've been hammering at this thing for hours.

I installed a Phillips 4.1 soundcard into this computer (566mhz Celeron eMachine with onboard crystal sound and intel i810)

It worked... for a time. Then, inexplicably, no sound. I check the 'Agent Control Panel' and it says that 'failed to load PSA2 driver' Okay... I look over at the multimedia control panel (to set the crystal onboard as default) - and both the comboboxes are grayed out.

Next spot to check - System Control Panel: Device Manager.

Device manager says that nothing's wrong. Oookay.. I uninstall and reinstall twice (both sets of drivers for the crystal and the philips - damn you Philips) No dice.

Now, I've seen odd things happen in windows. Be a tech long enough, and you'll probably even see a non-hacked 'ALL YOUR BASE'. But this is driving me MAD! I've even removed the philips and just tried to get the crystal to work. No good.

I believe that the install prog for the Philips messed with the Multimedia control panel.

One of the few things I have not tried yet is a reinstall of Windows. I'm holding that to the last - rebuilding the apps and settings on this system would be a pain, especially when it's a client's system.

And may I say DAMN YOU PHILIPS FOR MAKING THE ONLY WAY TO INSTALL YOUR SOUNDCARD IS TO RUN A PROGRAM THAT KEEPS LOCKING UP!!!!! (Caps intentional there)

Philips 4.1

Philips 4.1

[EDIT: Just moving the smiles over...]
    Last edited by 10of40; April 11th, 2003 at 06:48 PM.
    "I aspire sir, to be better than I am." -- Data, Star Trek: Nemesis

WDM drivers or VXD?

Try using the 95 drivers.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

What win95 drivers? I'vw been unable to fnd any of those.

And they are both WDM
    "I aspire sir, to be better than I am." -- Data, Star Trek: Nemesis

yep thats all I found too.. however there is an interesting patch here Right at the bottom... it wouldnt be the first time that an MS patch has an effect on a completely different problem...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by 10of40
    What win95 drivers? I'vw been unable to fnd any of those.

And they are both WDM
    All the drivers on that page say 95/98/xp or whatever, the '95' bit is usually hidden inside those .... unpack the drivers and have a look for a '95' directory .... then don't let it find them on its own (it'll use wdm), say 'have disk' and use browse to navigate....

WDM (windows driver model) blatantly doesn't work with any incantation of 9x, you need acpi on and pci 2.2 compliant cards to get that working with 9x, VXD (virtual extended device) type drivers however are what 98 was originally designed to work with ... they might not perform as well (stuttering, blanks etc under load) but at least they work !