PC Anywhere through firewall

Thread: PC Anywhere through firewall

PC Anywhere through firewall

Howdy all,

Has anyone played much with PC Anywhere? I'm wanting to get this thing running through our firewall, so a third party can connect via the 'net to administer their accounting / stock control package, make updates, etc..etc..

I haven't touched PC Anywhere in a good 3 or 4 years (as I despise it with a passion) but this company doesn't want to use anything else.

Little rundown of the setup.

Debian linux box is our firewall / proxy, internal IP of 10.1.1.1 . I want to forward on PC Anywhere ****e to a server at 10.1.0.10.

Anywho, not being a linux guy yet (I'm far too stupid), I asked my housemate for some advice, (been running an ISP for 6 years, has a fair idea about IP forwarding) who gave me a quick rundown of what to do on the TCP/IP side of things, but evidently PC Anywhere likes to use UDP as well. Apart from striking me as just being utterly fscking ridiculous, it's causing me a headache.

Has anyone set up PC anywhere to run through a linux firewall before? Any advice would be most helpful.

Cheers all.

-Cameron
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Nevermind, fixed it :P

Was doing dumb stuff.. heh..
    [email protected]

Why dont you like PCAnywhere? I use it and also NetOP. Both programs have saved me countless Hours, even days of drive time. Hail teh mighty PCANyhwere!!
    W

TightVNC for me. One port for each system and that's that. Sure you can't copy files to the local system but that's not a huge requirement for me. I just need to see the system.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I'm with Gollo on this one. VNC rocks. PCAnywhere crashes more machines than PC Chips.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

HRmmm... TightVNC huh... ill have to check that out. I wonder if it allows a connection between a Windows PC and OS2Warp?
    W

Originally posted by Diver01
    HRmmm... TightVNC huh... ill have to check that out. I wonder if it allows a connection between a Windows PC and OS2Warp?
    There are lot's of VNC flavors out there. I think they have a java client so if you were to want to access your windows system from os2 it "should" work. You can even access it through a web browser (that's where the java comes in). Plus it's got a small footprint and the viewer is tiny as well.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Originally posted by Diver01
    Why dont you like PCAnywhere? I use it and also NetOP. Both programs have saved me countless Hours, even days of drive time. Hail teh mighty PCANyhwere!!
    I would rather have teeth pulled, than be forced to use PCAnywhere, but unfortunately Im stuck with it for the time being.

It's slow, unresponsive, and generally painful to use, when sat next to the free alternatives.
    [email protected]

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Originally posted by EvilCabbage
    I would rather have teeth pulled, than be forced to use PCAnywhere, but unfortunately Im stuck with it for the time being.

It's slow, unresponsive, and generally painful to use, when sat next to the free alternatives.
    Dont ya just love it when the pres/acct dept/insertothermoronhere decides which remote administration program to use?
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Well unfortunatley the only option I have at the moment is PCAnywhere and given the alternative, which sometimes means driving 4 hours across state, ill take what I can get. Even if it means having all my teeth pulled and wearing dentures lol
    W