spy bot
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spy bot

spy bot

one great find

i don't know where i heard it first..chatroom, or on this board, but this is got to be one of the best ways to speed up an old doggy computer.

between, gain, gator, bde, and other spy ware this speeds up most computers....

good find to whomever, thanks and i recomend this for everyone...

Virus, spybot s&d, first things i do to all computers now.
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

Spybot: Good & BAd

I was recommended that product from this site. Yes, it did destroy all the bad 'cookies." However, I was also warned about spybot from a tech friend of mine. They have a warning on it to 'use at your own risk.'

First, they don't tell you that it DOES allow the manufactures of Spybot to spy on you.

Second, it can screw up your computer. I had it for about 24 hrs. It worked fine and I was very pleased. Then I discovered that I could only boot into SAFE-MODE.

That is when the warning I received earlier kicked in. I got rid of it.

Just my experience. Take it with as many grains of salt as your wish.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Thumbs up

I use it 4 a couple of monthes now - Just rememer to updte it frequently.
    I recommend it as well

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I'll stick with good 'ole tried and true ad-aware www.lavasoftusa.com
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    I'll stick with good 'ole tried and true ad-aware www.lavasoftusa.com
    Word.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Does Adaware immunise?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I use both adaware and spybot frequently and have no problems with either as long as you remember that you need to understand what each one does...if there are programs that spybot deletes that depend on spying to operate, then the programs won't work..if those programs also changed your dll files, etc. then you may end up with windows problems as well...If you have concrete evidence that spybot is spyware, then please share it with us..

I have been using Spybot for about 4-5 months now. I have run it on at least 100 machines. I run it on just about every machine that comes though my shop. I have never once had it bite me.

The creator of this program is doing a great public service. I have even donated a few bucks to him.

Orangeman, I am curious to hear what has led you to believe that Spybot S&D is spying on people. I really don't believe this is the case.
    Last edited by jimmm33; April 7th, 2003 at 11:05 AM.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

I've been using Spybot for several months & I believe I suggested it to someone on this board, as well as to others. Anyway, I have had no problems with it at all while using it. Just remember, it takes different strokes to move the world

Retraction

Originally posted by jimmm33

Orangeman, I am curious to hear what has led you to believe that Spybot S&D is spying on people. I really don't believe this is the case.
    HI Gang,

Well, here it is. When I made this statement I took the word of a tech friend of mine. He is someone is a software programmer and is very knowlegeable in the field. However after further investigation I discovered that my original statement that Spybot was Spyware is NOT the case. Indeed here is a link that states the original problem and Also, that it was cleared up:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...an-2003/29.php

ALSO, there WERE several cases of Spybot giving false postives published in Spybot's FAQ's:

"Other spyware programs find spies in Sypbot-S&D's directory! FAQ #004"
    Please look at the path where such a program found the spyware. As Spybot-S&D has no spyware integrated, this must be a false alarm. The reason for such a false alarm is simple: Spybot-S&D saves backups of the problems you have fixed; to make it possible to recover them in case something stops working after the fix.

However I stand by my statement that Spybot is dangerous to use with Windows 95 and Windows 98. Here is a page of their FAQ's talking about updates for Win 95:

"There are two possible reasons why Spybot-S&D 1.1 wouldn't run using Windows 95. The first possible reason (Error message: HHCTRL.OCX is missing) is that you are using an old version of Internet Explorer, thus the needed HTML help components are not installed. Those are available from Microsoft.The second reason (Error message: WS2_32.DLL is missing) is that you need the Winsock update for Windows 95. That one is also available from Microsoft."

Again, I tried it in my machine running Win 98 and I couldn't boot in to Safe Mode after 24 hrs, because the computer couldn't find C drive. I finally fixed the problem by resetting my Bios Startup Options for my 4 drives from "user" to "automatic."

I apologize for the misunderstanding about Spybot being Spyware.

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; April 7th, 2003 at 08:33 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Re: Retraction

Originally posted by Orangeman

Again, I tried it in my machine running Win 98 and I couldn't boot in to Safe Mode after 24 hrs, because the computer couldn't find C drive. I finally fixed the problem by resetting my Bios Startup Options for my 4 drives from "user" to "automatic."

I apologize for the misunderstanding about Spybot being Spyware.

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Orangeman, I honestly fail to see how changing your bios settings would overcome a problem that spybot created... sounds more like you had a mbr problem.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up

There are two possible reasons why Spybot-S&D 1.1 wouldn't run using Windows 95. The first possible reason (Error message: HHCTRL.OCX is missing) is that you are using an old version of Internet Explorer, thus the needed HTML help components are not installed. Those are available from Microsoft.The second reason (Error message: WS2_32.DLL is missing) is that you need the Winsock update for Windows 95. That one is also available from Microsoft
    So update your flaming software

As for 'false positives' the latest greatest version warns you that 'quarantined' files will be detected by other progs(adaware) in a big pop-up when you fire it up.

& yes Noo there's an immunise button.... Advanced and easy modes too now....

So as well as the spybot isn't spyware apology - here's the gist of what confus-ed Orangeman for those too lazy to read the whole link-but its worth mentioning - "Those of you who use Spybot already know this, but for those who don't, let me explain. When you run Spybot for the first time, it shows you a warning message which tells you that removing the spyware component of the program that installed could possibly break cause it to stop working. This is true for KaZaa for example.

The owner of the web site, Michael Chukov, misread the message and got confused. He thought that it was saying that Spybot itself was going to install spyware, and would stop working if it was removed. So he listed Spybot alongside KaZaa and Gator." - Is there something to come about the rest...?

Like somethings gonna say its spyware would you like to install me .... but I know how easy it is to be confus-ed , but if you use shall we say information exchange programs like urrrrgh kazaa then don't be whining when they don't work....

Only one problem at the moment with c2.lop detection but there's a workaround, no doubt a fix soon, but this guy actually seems to believe in what he's doing and its still 'volunteer' wear - a suggested donation only - he gets my vote.

Re: Re: Retraction

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Orangeman, I honestly fail to see how changing your bios settings would overcome a problem that spybot created... sounds more like you had a mbr problem.
    I don't either. My guess is that spybot removed too much. All I know NooNoo is that I went for months without having to change these settings, after installing Spybot the only way it would recognize my C drive at all was to change the settings.

As for "Updating my Flammin' software," Confused, I am using IE 6.0 - the latest version. Also, Spybot was supposedly made for my OS, Win98.

As a further note you should read the user opinions on Spybot in CNET. Although 72% are positive, 28% are NEGATIVE. Some even recall similiar instances to mine:

http://download.com.com/3302-2144-10...html?pn=1&fb=2
    Last edited by Orangeman; April 8th, 2003 at 12:29 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

I've used Spybot with no ill effects...as a matter of fact I loaded it on a machine today and noticed this in the setup options:

New one for me...didn't know they were available...

(Fourums for blind users...he, eh, eh.)

You don't mind if I respectfully disagree. You all can use Spybot on your machines if you choose.

Its staying off mine.
    Bouncy Bouncy