tried Ebay
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tried Ebay

tried Ebay

well for the first time i tried ebay. and now i think i like that website.

my friend got alot of crap off ebay but i never tried it and was kinda concered about it because i thought that how do you know if they person is a good seller or not.

well i tried it and i liked it i got a netgear wireless router for 51 bucks. which is awsome

the router was brand new in a box never opened. i looked at new egg and they had the same router for 100 bucks.

makes me think how much of the stuff they sell on ebay are actually "hot"

definition
    Hot = stolen

but im happy with my purchase

also was looking at some G1 transformers

Hello Hello, Yes hello to me and hello to you, I am the Crap On and i live in a zoo and its such a friendly old zoo and such fun you'll enjoy yes you will everyone, every two will enjoy it, every three, every four. so come visit my zoo and come up on four.

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

My guess is that there is a lot of stolen merchandise being sold there, but its probably a small percentage of the overall traffic on that site. I have never used Ebay but I hear they have a pretty decent ratings system that helps to weed out the dishonest types. So hopefully it's not as bad as most people might think.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

My son bought a monitor on ebay, never received it, turns out this guy was a major european con artist. I bought a game for my daughter, it arrived the next day.

Kinda like buying a market, sometimes you get ripped, alot of times you don't.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by KINGofBLEH
    My guess is that there is a lot of stolen merchandise being sold there, but its probably a small percentage of the overall traffic on that site. I have never used Ebay but I hear they have a pretty decent ratings system that helps to weed out the dishonest types. So hopefully it's not as bad as most people might think.
    Yeah definitely not the place for the internet novice.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

As they say in the read me "buyer beware".

I d`ont know about the US site but the UK site is mostly dealers which are on the most good but you are cautioned to read through the feedback first before bidding.
    I like NooNoo`s son nearly got caught by a too good to be true seller luckily they got caught before the cheques were cashed.

This said I have had several good purchases from this site but before you bid ensure that you know the real world cost of the item and bid accordingly and watch for overinflated P/P charges.

We in the UK also have to watch for items posted from the US or Singapore,I dont fancy paying to return an unworking item that far.

I have seen many over inflatted bids and wondered just who would pay so much for a secondhand [New OEM ?]item.

On another forum i post on a person was bitching that they were being charged an overly amount for a seconhand item that they could have bought new a lot cheaper and were`nt going to pay at all.
    My response was to inform them that its upto them what they bid and in the end if they win they are leaglly obliged to pay the sum,overcharged or not.
    Last edited by Archer; April 6th, 2003 at 02:34 PM.

Originally posted by Archer
    As they say in the read me "buyer beware".

I like NooNoo`s son nearly got caught by a too good to be true seller luckily they got caught before the cheques were cashed.

Silly sod wired cash to Lithuania.....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Is that somewhere near Manchester no sorry thats China [town]

They probably needed it for the fare over here

Never mind learn young and live longer
    Last edited by Archer; April 6th, 2003 at 03:06 PM.

I use to use ebay alot, I bought a motorcycle off of ebaymotors. Normally I would not recommend doing this but since the guy was only an hour away I was able to look the bike over before bidding. My father on the other hand hasn't had such a great experience with ebay, he purchased 2 golf club shafts which both split in half a couple weeks after purchasing, my father is still trying to get his money back.

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    My wife is the queen of ebay! Over the years she has had over 1,000 transactions. Anything from clothes, furniture, computer parts, arts & crafts you just about name it. She has had only two what I would call bad transactions and they were very minor. She reads everything she can on the seller's ratings that ebay post. If the seller has an excellent rating (above 95%) she'll do business. She in turn has an excellent rating.
    I've had 7 purchases all PC related and they have went smoothly.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

It depends on what you buy. I've been a seller on Ebay for 5 years and I have a perfect rating on two of my three sites and only one negative on another - out of about 5,000 sales.

Seller ratings are the thing to look at. If you're in it for the long haul, like I am, it doesn't pay to screw up a perfect credit rating with selling something that's bad. That's why I have a money back guarantee. Granted, money back guarantees are hard to find on Ebay, but I would look for them anyway.

BTW, they ARE a great selling tool, and if you're selling good stuff, useful too. In all of my 5,000 sales I have had only 7 requests for refunds.

Positive feedback can be manipulated, especially customers who say that "I'll give you one if you give me one." However if you have somebody with over 100 positive and no negative, then I'd say you have a pretty honest seller.

The second thing you can do to protect yourself against a bad seller is never buy electronic devices. Their are too many hidden variables. (Unless the seller states a money back guarantee). You should INQUIRE in advance.

Ebay does have a protection policy but it is only good for up to $200.00.

Thirdly, the old adage, if its too good to be true, it probably is, applies to Ebay. I've bought quite a bit of stuff off ebay. Somes times I've been ripped off, but mostly I've got my money's worth.

Good LUck,

Orangeman

PS>Go Syracuse!!!!
    Last edited by Orangeman; April 7th, 2003 at 10:07 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

I've been pretty successfull so far on Ebay. I had one bad transaction but it wasn't for a lot of money. I bought a van on ebaymotors, routers, servers and switches on ebay. No wonder the stock is still through the roof...
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

All my transactions have been good ones. I just make sure that the seller has at least 50+ reviews and that they have no less then 3-4 bad reviews (some people flip out that their shipment didn't arrive 5 days after they ordered even if the fifth day was a sunday.).
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I like e-bay a lot. I have bought and sold with no problems over the past few years. The only thing I have noticed recently is high postal costs being quoted. I purchased an item that according to the seller cost £7 to post, but when it turned up there were stamps on it to the value of £2. I complained and threatened to leave negative feedback, and got the extra money back the next day. It's an easy way to make money if you sell lots of stuff.

Other than that, it's excellent in my experience!

Originally posted by gazzak
    I like e-bay a lot. I have bought and sold with no problems over the past few years. The only thing I have noticed recently is high postal costs being quoted. I purchased an item that according to the seller cost £7 to post, but when it turned up there were stamps on it to the value of £2. I complained and threatened to leave negative feedback, and got the extra money back the next day. It's an easy way to make money if you sell lots of stuff.

Other than that, it's excellent in my experience!
    Yep, I ordered a NIC last week. Ground shipping was $6.00 as quoted from UPS. I get the total and the guy says that shipping is $13.00 and oh, don't forget that there's a $3.00 packaging charge. $3.00 packaging charge? Where did it say that on the auction? This guy is getting a neutral rating with an explanation.

UPDATE: Holy ****! I literally just pushed the submit button as my wife dropped the mail on my desk. In it was a letter with the shipping bill enclosed. It was $11.73 (shipped at Mail Boxes Etc. and not UPS direct). I must appologize for slandering this poor fellows name. He now gets a positive feedback. LOL... amazing timing...
    Last edited by silencio; April 7th, 2003 at 12:29 PM.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Ebay = comic fan boy's dream.

It's a woldwide flea market!