Linux and Windows

Thread: Linux and Windows

Linux and Windows

Hi all,

Ok....I have a home network set up. 5 PC's through Linksys switch/router. Have a WinXP box, a Win2000 file server (DHCP disabled) and three Win98 boxes. These all work like a charm... they see each other access each other and all can access the internet no problem. I have been playing with Red Hat Linux versions 5.2, 6.1, 7.0 and 8.0, all as workstation in various dual boot configurations. My question is, I can get Linux to access the internet throuh the router without a hitch. on all versions on Linux. But I can not for the life of me see any of the Windows machines from the Linux systems or vice versa. I want to be able to print from my Linux systems to the two network printers hooked up on the Win2000 and WinXP boxes. Any help?
    No matter where you go........there you are.

Check out LinNeighborhood. It's kinda like Network Neighborhood and it shows all shares on the network. Works pretty good. Also you can add printer shares in the printer administrator (System Settings, Printers). New, Windows Printer (SMB), and then just put in the location and an appropriate username, password and workgroup for that system. Very simple actually. Mind you this was in 8.0 but it's the same for 7.2 and 7.3. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Printers working but...

Ok, I have the printers working!!!! But I still canot see the other computers on the network (Linux - Windows) of (Windows - Linux). Any ideas?
    No matter where you go........there you are.

Re: Printers working but...

Originally posted by Irish Shark
    Ok, I have the printers working!!!! But I still canot see the other computers on the network (Linux - Windows) of (Windows - Linux). Any ideas?
    To be able to see the linux computer from windows you need samba running on the system. Go to www.samba.org for more information. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert