Internet Explorer start-up

Thread: Internet Explorer start-up

Internet Explorer start-up

Hi all, silly problem, my own for once not a user

PC at home running W2K Professional, all applications open OK, no problems. Internet Explorer 6 however takes an age from clicking the icon to actually launching, and I do mean an age!
    I have tried the usual tricks like emptying the cache, temp files and history etc. I have re-applied SP-3, cleaned the disks, done most things I can think of and it's made no difference. I have not removed and re-installed IE6 yet but will soon. Another thing is that while I'm waiting for the program to launch, if I open the task manager to see if the processor is actually being used, then "pop", up jumps Internet Explorer.

Any ideas welcome

does "my computer" take a similar time to launch?

Have you run spybot?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Funnily enough NooNoo it does! What do you suspect?

What is Spybot? Is it similar to ad-aware which I run regularly?

Forget the bit about Spybot, looked it up, downloaded it and am running it as I type, will let you know if it helped!

It's hunting for ALL networked components before it launches, first of all do this reg tweak

here is spybot similar to adaware, but I find more efficient, be sure to update it immediately after installing, then run the search and destroy.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Wow, Spybot seemed to do the trick. Did the registry bit too just in case. Thanks for the help, much appreciated as always

yes spybot does alot more than adware, I like it alot, it will scan trojans too and other exploits and patch them for you also