Internet problems with Server/DSL/RRAS

Thread: Internet problems with Server/DSL/RRAS

Unhappy Internet problems with Server/DSL/RRAS

Ok, Here is my setup. I'm running Win2000 Server SP3 with all the security updates. I connect to DSL using Enternet 300 v1.5 on my WAN NIC. I have a second NIC in the machine which is setup for my LAN. I'm running NAT(for my other machines) and I'm having some issues.

OK, on the server I can go to any website without any problems. On the workstations though, there are certain sites I cannot go to, such as www.ebay.com , www.asus.com, etc

I'm running DHCP and DNS on the server which is providing the workstations with an IP, SUBNET, GATEWAY and DNS address's. GATEWAY and DNS being my LAN NIC's address.

Is there anything I should check to figure out why this is happening??
    Sounds like you need a good FDISK

What os's on the workstations, is it ALWAYS the same sites on the workstations that have a problem?

On the problematic workstation(s) type this in the ie address http://66.135.192.88 - what does that get you?
    How about http://216.136.179.238 ?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Have you got your ISP's DNS servers as forwarders on your internal DNS server?

This will reolve any DNS queries that your internal DNS can't resolve.

I've tried leaving those blank and putting my ISP's DNS addresses in, but it didn't make any difference

How is your DNS set up? Is it AD integrated? Do you have a reverse lookup zone?

Also double check in DHCP that the gateway and DNS server settings are correct, i.e. that it is applying the correct info to the workstations.

You should only have the IP address of the server in the DNS settings for the workstations. That should be all you need with the DNS server using the ISP forwarders to resolve. In forwarders on the DNS server there is a box "Do not use recursive something" (can't remember exactly), make sure this is unchecked too and that your ISP DNS are listed in forwarders.

NoNoo, the second address you posted (216.136.179.238) gives me a page not found, did you mean that?

emr

http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/pid/96/fid/3017

I got my DNS running flawlessly using this quick "tek-tip". Give it a go and see if it makes any difference.
    Shoot 'em up! Shoot 'em up! Pow! Pow!

Ok, I tried all of the above suggestions, including going to the IP of www.ebay.com but the desktops will still not go there. The desktops are a mix of Win98 2nd and Win2K Pro.

I just tried running the "simple" query tools under monitoring on my DNS server and they both fail, yet its setup exactly as I've done before

Just to let everyone know, I figured out the problem. It was with the PPPoE protocol driver. I was using Enternet 300 v1.5 which was supplied by SBC Yahoo DSL. Now I'm using RASPPPOE and its works great. I have no problems at all now.