Asus A7A266

Thread: Asus A7A266

Post Asus A7A266

I have had it with the Abit KT7A I have had nothing but problems. Now I'm looking for a different MOBO. I DO NOT want to deal with Via KT133A Chipset ever again. That rules out most MOBOs for the AMD. I have a 850 T-bird, and I'm looking for a MOBO that uses anything but VIA. Does anyone know of any? I know the Asus A7A266 uses ALi M1647 Northbridge / ALi M1535D Southbridge chipsets. Are there any problems out there with this board? Thank you for your input.

Just remember, that ALi chipset is a DDR chipset. From what I have seen on various online hardware sites, the ALi Magik is a weak chipset as far as performance. The AMD 760 is a much better performer, but at a higher price. However, which ever platform you chose to build on, remember that you will be paying a premium for the built-in DDR support compared to regular SDRAM. Here's a link to an online review of VIA vs. ALi vs. AMD. Hope this will answer any questions you may have. For current pricing, simply check pricewatch.com. Best of luck to you.

According to Asus's web site the board supports the more expensive DDR memory or PC100/133. So there will be no added cost right now other than the cost of the board. I can switch to DDR when the price drops as an upgrade.