Memory usage in Win XP

Thread: Memory usage in Win XP

Question Memory usage in Win XP

Does anyone know the limit on how much RAM a single process can use in Win XP?

I have a user that runs simulations on his workstation ( 4 GB of RAM ) that runs certain processes that sometimes exceed 2 GB of RAM usage, in Win NT 4.0 this causes the user to recieve errors and the simulations to stop. We are thinking of upgrading him to Win 2K or Win XP, but can not find the limitations of these OS'es, does anyone know? TIA.

XP supports up to 4 gig.
    Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems

64 bit ver goes up to 16 gig.
    Memory Limitations of 64-bit Versions of Windows XP

I saw this in the first article. What does anyone know about the three gig switch in boot.ini?

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. When the physical RAM in the system exceeds 16 GB and the /3GB switch is used, the operating system will ignore the additional RAM until the /3GB switch is removed. This is because of the increased size of the kernel required to support more Page Table Entries. The assumption is made that the administrator would rather not lose the /3GB functionality silently and automatically; therefore, this requires the administrator to explicitly change this setting.

Maybe you should take a look at this /3gig switch for your user in the current operating system. It might solve all of your problems...

Available Switch Options for Windows NT Boot.ini File

Sounds like the swap file needs to be increased dramatically!!! 2gb of memory for 1 program?? what is it cad? what are the specs on the system???!!!!

Originally posted by Kineda
    Sounds like the swap file needs to be increased dramatically!!! 2gb of memory for 1 program?? what is it cad? what are the specs on the system???!!!!
    The user has a dual Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz Xeon machine with 4GB of RAM, 160GB SCSI drive, DVD-RAM, etc. He runs scientific simulations on the computer using an application called FlexPDE, that's about all I know.

BTW, he has an 8GB swap file, so I don't think that's the problem.

Originally posted by DFW_Tech_Kenny
    The user has a dual Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz Xeon machine with 4GB of RAM, 160GB SCSI drive, DVD-RAM, etc. He runs scientific simulations on the computer using an application called FlexPDE, that's about all I know.

BTW, he has an 8GB swap file, so I don't think that's the problem.
    I am actually aroused! That thing kicks ***!

damn i bow to that one..... i dont think the os has the capability to keep up with something like that, i once read something about a version of 2k that was for scientific simulations. you might want to look into that, for real let me know what u find

any chance of getting a version of his softawre for unix? thats what we use for finite element calculations, which require similar amounts of hardware.

we have found that windows just doent seem to like top-end workstations.
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh