Weird home router issue

Thread: Weird home router issue

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar

Weird home router issue

SETUP : Roadrunner, Motorola SB4200 cable modem, Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch with latest firmware.

All my desktop computers (running Realtek 8139 all around) will get DHCP just fine. The problem is my laptop...Toshiba Tecra 8000, Xircom Realport 10/100 16bit. The lappy will not get DHCP from the router. If I enter a static address, along with gateway and DNS info, I can see everything on the inside network, can ping the router, and can even ping addresses on the internet. I can't resolve DNS, though. If I try to ping a website using the domain name, I get 'unknown host'

I know this used to work fine. I'm not sure if it quit working before or after the firmware upgrade.

Suggestions?
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Sounds like the problem I'm working on at a customers house..do you have xp on the laptop by any chance? If so, try turning off dhcp enabled in the tcp/ip properties and see if that helps.
    Last edited by geoscomp; April 15th, 2003 at 04:14 PM.

Load the latest Xircom drivers. If that doesn't help then try another card if you have one handy. I had a similar problem at work with a few Dells. On-board NIC wouldn't connect to the Internet, but could see everything on the internal network. Installed PCI cards and all was well. Very odd.
    Last edited by Carlitos_Way; April 15th, 2003 at 04:14 PM.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

downgrade the routers firmware until you find the one that works. I'm guessing it's in there.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Laptop is running win2k, with the xircom driver winders already had. I don't think I've got the old router firmware. Are older versions still available? I'll try a few different things when I can. Right now I'm strugling with running NT4 on my dual TBird box, because I have to run a customer's DB on here.....its been fun, lemme tell ya. Ah, viewing forums in 640x480, 16 color
    || |||| | |||| |||

Originally posted by FatalException0E
    Laptop is running win2k, with the xircom driver winders already had. I don't think I've got the old router firmware. Are older versions still available? I'll try a few different things when I can. Right now I'm strugling with running NT4 on my dual TBird box, because I have to run a customer's DB on here.....its been fun, lemme tell ya. Ah, viewing forums in 640x480, 16 color
    Yeah just go to the linksys website and look up your model and you should get a list of all the firmwares upto the current one. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

I have problems with my laptop and my linksys router when I am running 100 Full Duplex. If all else fails try adjusting the speed of the nic to half duplex on 100 then 10 and see what works.

Tony
    Last edited by thirdfey; April 16th, 2003 at 08:36 AM.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Originally posted by thirdfey
    I have problems with my laptop and my linksys router when I am running 100 Full Duplex. If all else fails try adjusting the speed of the nic to half duplex on 100 then 10 and see what works.

Tony
    I've run into the same thing. But it sounds like it was working before that is why I recommended he drop back a firmware or two.

Originally posted by Gollo
    I've run into the same thing. But it sounds like it was working before that is why I recommended he drop back a firmware or two.
    He said it works on all his desktops, but not the laptop. Since the setup works fine with several other systems and not this one, I'd say it's something to do with this specific system.

Like others said, try changing the networking stuff on the laptop. New hardware, drivers, settings (like the speed/duplex), reinstall networking components, etc.

Originally posted by InvisiBill
    He said it works on all his desktops, but not the laptop. Since the setup works fine with several other systems and not this one, I'd say it's something to do with this specific system.

Like others said, try changing the networking stuff on the laptop. New hardware, drivers, settings (like the speed/duplex), reinstall networking components, etc.
    I'm gonna have to side with Gollo since it use to work fine and the only noticeable change was the firmware upgrade. May as well get it working the old way unless there is something in the latest firmware that Fatal needs. I recommend working on the laptop after all other means of fixing the problem through the router have been exhausted.

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Been a while...had several other things on my plate. I updated the laptop's NIC driver, no change. I checked Linksys's page for previous firmware release and didn't find any. I emailed Linksys tech support asking how to get a previous firmware, and got a reply telling me to reset the router......anybody know where to find older releases?
    || |||| | |||| |||

Re: Weird home router issue

Originally posted by FatalException0E
    I can't resolve DNS, though. If I try to ping a website using the domain name, I get 'unknown host'

I know this used to work fine. I'm not sure if it quit working before or after the firmware upgrade.

Suggestions?
    From the command prompt, type

ftp 64.12.168.19

if you get a "sock" error, your winsock files are toasted and need to be replaced
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Re: Re: Weird home router issue

Originally posted by Matridom
    From the command prompt, type

ftp 64.12.168.19

if you get a "sock" error, your winsock files are toasted and need to be replaced
    Do you mean
    > ftp: socket :Unknown error number

That's what I get, alright. I removed all network components, reboot and reinstalled them, but no change. Is there another way I should be going about it?
    || |||| | |||| |||

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    The next step... enjoy!
    Sounds like a reload....I'm feeling *****ious tonight, but my attention span is at an all time low
    || |||| | |||| |||