Adaptec EzCD intall/removal help

Thread: Adaptec EzCD intall/removal help

Adaptec EzCD intall/removal help

i have hp pavilion running Win ME with a corrupted EZCD Creator install. i tried reinstalling, but it gets 1/3 of the way thro and stops. when i try to uninstall it starts the uninstall process and then that too stops. i have tried everything on the Roxio support site, and nothing has worked. i have gone into the reg and deleted everything to do with EZCD and Direct CD. what else is there ?
    take care and tempt not the fates

format c: /q /s

Insert windows 98 (or 2k or xp) cd

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL

Should be all set in about 30-40 minutes

"I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Have you tried the System Restore feature?? Better yet , try loading Nero unless you are dead set on using Adaptec.

its not for me, the Adaptec is what came with the cdrw and i doubt i'll be able to talk the guy into nero. i just need to get this damn adaptec uninstalled

We've had this problem recently with both Win 98 SE (2) & ME (2) and I'm sorry to say we never did find a simple solution, or a definite cause.

We reckon though that the problem is down to this:

When you first install easycd the first thing it does is update the "windows installer", followed by a reboot. In 2 of the 4 cases we had the user had done an over write of Windows to restore the operating system, which (we presume) reset the "windows installer" to the earlier version. Thereafter easycd wont uninstall as the original configuration is gone, neither will it re-install as the program is already installed!!

(We suspect that the other 2 had done the same as well - just would'nt admit)

If nuking/re-installing the OS is out of the question methinks you need to do some serious registry editing!! (as we did(!))

Good Luck.
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

Originally posted by Atodini

If nuking/re-installing the OS is out of the question methinks you need to do some serious registry editing!! (as we did(!))

Good Luck.
    nuking the os is out of the question, so what reg edits did you do? i've gone thro and removed all traces of adaptec, easy cd, roxio, and directcd. of course the roxio website is no help what so ever. god i hate this program

I personally didn't do these jobs (I'm predominately our hardware dept!) but I've spoken to my software associate & he tells me that it was straightforward, just time-consuming.

He did just what you did... removed all references from the registry and win.ini etc. etc, deleted the folders followed up with a regclean (I think Martin uses Norton) for good measure.

Worked for us...

Shame you can't nuke it!!! I only recommend Windows ME to people I don't like!!!

John

Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

Adaptec uninstall is some of the worst written code there is, what happens with my 3.5 is that if I remove Adaptec QuickSync via Add/Remove Programs, it removes everything including Easy CD Creator, Scan Disk, CD Copier Deluxe and CD-RW Eraser. In other words everything, and leaves my system almost CD less.

But if I use the 'Uninstall QuickSync' shortcut in the QuickSync folder from the Start menu, then I get just QuickSync removed just like it is supposed to be done. I would suggest a reinstall of Adaptec to get the uninstall shortcuts back in and then only use those, each in turn to attempt another uninstall. Then clean up in registry, stray files/folders, etc?