Problems printing to shared printer XP and 98se

Thread: Problems printing to shared printer XP and 98se

Problems printing to shared printer XP and 98se

Here's the issue.

1 Windows 2000 Server
    2 Windows XP PC’s
    1 Windows 98se PC’s

All PC's have printers attached locally and are shared so all other PC can print to each other printers. The problem is that the 2 XP PC's are losing the ability to print to the 98 PC and Vice Versa. The XP machines never have a problem printing to each other.

To solve this problem in the past I removed the machines from the domain, rebooting the server and re-adding the clients to the domain. This fix worked for a couple of weeks and the printer problem has returned.

The 98 PC's printer can be re-added to the XP machines and they are fine but when you browse the network from the 98 PC and you click on the XP PC's you get a message that says:

\\Name is not available logon server cannot be found.

I have tried added a user accounts for 98 machine on both XP PC's, but it can’t find the account or it says:

"A Trust Relationship with the domain has not been established"

I can ping all machines back and forth

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Rick

I'm not sure with windows server but with samba you can map printers on other computers (or even network printers) and then share them via samba. If you could get the windows server to map all the printers and then use it as a "print server" that might solve your problem. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Do you have a WINS server on the network such as the PDC or BDC?

Add the address of the WINS server to the TCP/IP config of the PCs (XP and 98). It sounds like they are having problems resolving names.

WINS FAQ
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

check that your server is set for pre-windows 2000 compatibility some security options wont allow clients running windows versions pre 2k to join/use a domain.
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh