USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure

Thread: USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar

USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure

Hey folks,

Many moons ago, I picked up a USB 2.0 HDD enclosure. It's a no-name.

The box remarks that the device works with XP, and it does ... but it's support is ... odd?

The HDD will never show up if simply plugged into a USB 2.0 (or 1.1) port. The system _must_ be rebooted.

Is this correct behavior?

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Nope. It should pick it up and work right away. I have a no name enclosure and it works right after being plugged in. Mine didn't even ask to reboot the first time I plugged it in. I think you have a faulty unit (you get what you pay for)! Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Can I fix it?

I mean, is this really an enclosure problem? Or an XP problem? MB problem?

m
    Last edited by The Computer Valet; April 21st, 2003 at 12:25 AM.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Does it do the same thing on other systems? Try it on another computer or even a different os and see if it does the same thing.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Lightbulb

Hi Computer Valet,
    I had similar problems with my USB 1.1 (2Gb) HDD.
    All solved after installing SP and fixes from MS (Windows Update)
    It is no name 2

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I had the same issue until I installed XPsp1. The fix was contained in that. I had to reboot to access the drive, which may it terrible to create a share off of it, no sooner you create the share, the dirve would disconnect. SP1 should fix your issue.

i have a belkin that works fine on all of my 2000, xp and 2003 boxes - didn't have to install anything

The Belkin was $50 more than I paid for mine. It also matches my black/silver computer quite well. Considering I saved $50 I don't mind worrying if my OS is up to date anyways. There are enough issues with M$ products, this is just another example of how certain issues arise accross a wide medium of products. The forum is to help one another, not spite that our "Belkin" worked right off the bat. You probably have Win2ksp3, XPsp1, and your .Net install already has the updated USB 2.0 drivers. Hopefully the person that inquired for help will get that, not someone telling them their monstrous external enclosure worked right off the bat!

Earlier today I had the chance to buy another one. This one is a CRU DataPort. Not a no-name, but I suppose a lesser-known name.

Anyhoo, this one works right away. No problems.

I'm going to check the jumper settings on the other one. I am pretty sure I set it as Master, but perhaps I made a mistake.

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Egg, meet Face.

D'oh!

The HDD was set to Master w/ Slave Present. I set it to Single and it works fine.

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Originally posted by trippinfool
    The Belkin was $50 more than I paid for mine. It also matches my black/silver computer quite well. Considering I saved $50 I don't mind worrying if my OS is up to date anyways. There are enough issues with M$ products, this is just another example of how certain issues arise accross a wide medium of products. The forum is to help one another, not spite that our "Belkin" worked right off the bat. You probably have Win2ksp3, XPsp1, and your .Net install already has the updated USB 2.0 drivers. Hopefully the person that inquired for help will get that, not someone telling them their monstrous external enclosure worked right off the bat!
    ok first off my work computer has win2k service pack 2 only
    home computers are xp WITHOUT SP1 (many many problems come along with sp1)
    and you arer correct, 2003 (its not .net anymore) does come with usb 2.0 drivers

secondly i wasn't aware that belkin was a good name brand - it was the cheapest one at compusa @39 bucks so i'm not sure where you get the 50 dollars from

thirdly - there is no need to be spiteful cause i was merely saying that i hadn't had any problems with mine maybe he should look into a different brand then the one he has

Originally posted by houstonpartykid
    ok first off my work computer has win2k service pack 2 only
    home computers are xp WITHOUT SP1 (many many problems come along with sp1)
    and you arer correct, 2003 (its not .net anymore) does come with usb 2.0 drivers

secondly i wasn't aware that belkin was a good name brand - it was the cheapest one at compusa @39 bucks so i'm not sure where you get the 50 dollars from

thirdly - there is no need to be spiteful cause i was merely saying that i hadn't had any problems with mine maybe he should look into a different brand then the one he has
    XP SP1 adds USB 2.0 support and drivers. I remove my USB 2.0 Device, and then have windows scan for hardware changes. Loads the drivers, and I'm off to the races.

Also XP SP 1 fixed a lot more issues than it caused, in fact, I haven't heard of any issues caused by XP SP 1.

I realized I sounded spiteful after the fact...sorry. The CompUSA in my area sells a Belkin enclosure for $100. I got a generic enclosure on clearance for $50. It was normally the same price as your Belkin was. The issue with his enclosure to me sounds more of a USB 2.0 support issue. I assume because it is a hardware based USB2.0, he needs the OS support to do so.

I recall XP (non-SP1) supported USB2.0 with an MS hotfix, the 2000 support only came with Intel based drivers (in my situation), and then that leaves one to assume that 2003 already has the support coded in.