setting up home network is not working?

Thread: setting up home network is not working?

setting up home network is not working?

okay all I have yahoo sbc dsl, and i have D-link DI-604 router. I'm trying to setup me and my dad's computer to get on the net, but with out mines being a server. In other words, my computer doesnt need to be on for him to use the internet. How would I go about doing this?
    "Okay, I'm giving everyone the boot off the servers. I need Maximum Bandwidth!"

however we can ping each other though

plug the dsl into the router utilizing the WAN port and plug the other computer into the ports on the front, and set each pc to automatically obtain an IP address.

then in win9x do winipcfg from run and release and renew
    in win2k / XP do cmd then ipconfig /release_all
    then follow that with ipconfig /renew_all

that should do it
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Also you need to login to the router (http://192.168.0.1) and type in admin for the username (password is blank) Run the wizard and you should be good to go. You use pppoe with a dynamic ip so just plug in the info you use to connect right now and then restart the router. (Do this AFTER you do what kato said). Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

^^^ yea i try that, but the thing is I can't log intot he router with that IP.

I even tried setting my computer to like 192.168.0.10 and it still wouldn't go to the router. The Link lite is up though... ihave no clue what's going on??

goto the machine's and make them all DHCP clients, click 'obtain ip address from dhcp' or something like that...no need to fill in ip addresses subnetmasks what ever, the built in dhcp will take care of this...

next. reboot them all, starting with shutting down the router, then restarting the computers one at a time (get one to work, then go on after that)...

after all that and you would like to see if you are connected to your router open a command prompt (win xp, start-run-"cmd" w/out the quotes, win 9x (98, ME, 95), start-run-"command")

ping 192.168.0.1
    you should get for resonsed that read :
    reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=<5ms ttl=224

if that works then try to login to the router, if you can provide us with the make and model number we can provide you with the default passwords, even how to reset the router to it's defaults.

hope this helps ou out some...
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

Set a computer up for DHCP, see if it is getting assigned a gateway. If so, open up internet explorer, type in the IP of the gateway and follow Gollo's and kato's instructions on logging in and configuring the router. If you are not assigned a gateway but have an IP of 169.254.x.x after following everyone's instruction on renewing your IP then you have a problem. See if there is a reset to factory defaults option for that router, should be a button on the outside of the router, reset the router and start from the beginning.

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Your router might not use 192.168.0.1 Try also 192.168.1.1 If all else fails resett the router (pine hole in the back usually read the manual to see how to do this). This will reset ANY configurations made back to it's default. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

hehe i got it already guys, thanks. I had to connect to the ppoe thingy and wait a few seconds fore I click "continue".

it works now