Internet Explorer 6 Error Message
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer 6 Error Message

Question Internet Explorer 6 Error Message

Hello ...does anyone know what this error message means please, when using IE6 on a Compaq Presario 100C with WindowsME and trying to open www.flyordie.com, an online gaming site which i've used for the last two years and now cannot open unless i use another browser...such as Opera...

Iexplore has caused an error in MSHTML.DLL. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks

i'd suggest re-installing IE.

I've seen taht error before. Looks common.

g'luck
    It's good to be the King.

IE6 Error Message

Thank you ... have tried re-installing, but no joy

Do you have Gator?

or try the second part of this
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question Internet Explorer 6 Error Message

Thanks NooNoo ...i don't have Gator...and i tried extracting the files as your link suggested...but still no luck...i've been reading numerous articles about the same problem though, so will just keep trying to find a solution...happy easter

Seen this one ? .... Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 816506

And we are sure it is IE 6, not 5.5 'patched' .... ME ships with that & certain patched copies show as IE 6 even when they aren't really.... you have to go through the 'pain' of a full download & install ....

Question IE6 Error Message

Thank you confus-ed ...yes, i am sure i am using IE6...i remember the "pain" of installation...i read the article you mentioned and have written to microsoft support asking for a freebie fix...if this is not forthcoming, i'll continue to use Opera until the fix is made readily available...thanks for your help...

You are welcome

So I'll guess we'll see...

hmmm, wonder if this is actually a java issue.... Which java have you loaded? Sun or the Microsoft version?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question IE6 Error Message

Hello ...i think maybe it's a java issue also...which is why i decided to try another browser...when i installed Opera it also installed Sun...i've been having this prob with the flyordie site since i formatted C drive and installed ME...and i thought at the time it was cos of the probs i had with the the SIS graphics chipset...but you solved that one for me NooNoo and i still can't enter the site...not without the dreaded microsoft error message anyway...

Well to confuse things again I'll just add that MSHTML.dll is the parsing element for HTML (so effectively the viewer) ..... so 'um it would be resolved if you used another browser....

MS have had problems with this from IE 4 .... have a look at this list .... Mshtml.dll Errors

I guess the way to discover what is actually causing this would be to examine the code on the errant sites and see what they contain besides HTML, there's probably gonna be active x, SHTML, XML, CGI and of course Java (but there mightn't be) ....

If they contained any Java code you could load the 'other' version so in this case Sun Java (pressumably), and see if it persists ...

You can have both at once .... its a plug in ... Have a looksee here .... what isn't so removable in the Virtual machine. You either have the Sun or MS but not both .... Its all part of a wider arguement.....

This link looks at whether a browser is part of an operating system or not

So before I have to start 'waffling' about anti-trust lawsuits, I'll finnish by saying this particular .dll is part of IE which remains (currently) part of windoze, but is also one of nine core elements of Internet explorer (which is a browser -whether part of the o/s or not?!?) which of course handles Java ....

But how the hell you fix it is seemingly anybodys guess...

So everybodys right !

If you are using this at home, I'd stick with Opera, and wait to see what MS come up with, but since this is a game site I very much doubt you are using it at work ... so you won't be bound by all that 'use MS stuff at all costs 'cos we are corporate dummies' nonscence, will you ...?

Smile IE6 Error Message

Thank you confus-ed for the info ...i must admit i've decided after 2 frustrating weeks of problems with the pc, to just use Opera for now when i'm playing pool...a little slow at times yes, but i quite like it, and it hasn't crashed on me yet...

As for whether i am using Opera at home...yes i am...so am not bound by any "corporate dummies nonsense"...in any case it's difficult to feel any loyalty to a company which continually brings out a product with so many problems...the competition is good for them...

Thanks again for your help

I think I have seen that error message before on a Compaq using Windows ME. I went to add/remove programs, and, for some reason, there was a Compaq custom version of IE, along with regular IE. I removed the Compaq custom version, and all was fixed.

IE6 Error Message

Thank you scott ...i had a look but could only find IE installed once...worth a try though...thanks

I work at a college where we use Groupwise for email. A couple of months ago, we began having sporadic problems with Groupwise crashing while composing replies to messges which contained html. We traced the problem to mshtml.dll and finally found this page. On this page there's a download link for a mshtml.dll patch that isn't available yet from Windows Update. It turns out that the latest version of IE6 sp1 contains a buggy version of mshtml.dll. This patch fixed our problems.

I hope this helps.
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"