Internet Explorer 6 Error Message - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Internet Explorer 6 Error Message

Question IE6 Error Message

Thanks stevet ...i did not mean to sound like i thought NooNoo was wrong...i would not do so as i am the novice, obviously ...it was more a case of thinking out loud...you are both right of course, and i have uninstalled hotbar...and everything else i can think of, that i don't use on a regular basis...thanks again for your help

Wink

Confus-ed-ness about 'rights & wrongs' asside....

I'm still puzzled by the version of mshtml.dll you are using, you say its blah blah .1173 ? What I'm puzzled about is that on all the machines I've looked at lately (all supposedly 'completely patched') .... the latest file version I can see is 1170 .... ? What's even more confusing is that all those machines have at least two versions of this dll ... another numbered 1141 which is definately being used

This might be a red herring , but doing a search for this 'errant' dll produces six different locations !!!!

Can you try a search on your machine and post back what it finds?

Where I'm going with this is .... that windows definately uses (on these machines at least) two different versions of this file ... one it gets from system32/dllcache - which it'll use on boot - another lives in system32 which it should use when IE launches (the others all seem to be for backup/recovery).... perhaps its as confus-ed as I on which it should use !!!!

Thank you confus-ed for your help once again ...when i try to enter the flyordie site, i get the error message that microsoft internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close...the more info link tells me this:

Error Signature

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: mshtml.dll
    ModVer: 6.0.2800.1173 Offset: 000d875a

When i do a search for mshtml.dll this is what i get:

mshtml.dll in folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    Version 6.0.2800.1173

mshtml.dll in folder C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files
    Version 6.0.2800.1106

mshtml.dll in folder C:\WINDOWS\MSConfig\backups
    Version 6.0.2800.1106

Thanks

Angry

....patches of flipping patches .....

1106 is the original so that's ok & where it ought....

I've applied every one of those patches at some point or other, but not necassirily in the same order, but the latest version of mshtml.dll I have is ...1170 in windows system32 ... I have another 1141 also used (I can see by the file attributes) in windows/system32/dllcache .... but I'm looking at XP machines - yours is ME ? !!!!

So ...?

Can someone with an ME machine tell me what lives where & what version .... ?

As far as I can tell I have the latest version of this stupid file , what you have must be a preview copy , I just can't fathom why one IE install isn't the same as another.....

Earlier in this discussion I suggested that she install an IE patch (q816506.exe from this page) that worked for us here where I work. That's where the 1173 version of mshtml.dll came from. There was also a critical update to IE released last week that included 1170, which should have upgraded most people from either 1141 or 1106. So yes, 1173 is slightly newer than what you can get at Windows Update, but it should be a stable version.
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Run Hijack This, and check ALL of the items in bold. Doublecheck so as to be sure not to miss a single one.
    Next, shut down all Internet Explorer Windows, and have HT fix all checked.

Reboot when you're done.

O2 - BHO: Hotbar - {B195B3B3-8A05-11D3-97A4-0004ACA6948E} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HOTBAR\BIN\4.2.11.0\HBHOSTIE.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hotbar] C:\PROGRAM FILES\HOTBAR\BIN\4.2.11.0\HBINST.EXE /Upgrade

eddie
    Just go with the flow, like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream

http://forums.techguy.org/

Thanks Eddie ...sorry i took so long to reply...pc died on me and i had to get new power supply...i have done as you suggested, but still no luck...thanks once again for your help

san

Jus try this lynda
    Start-->Run
    regsvr32 /u MSHTML.DLL
    regsvr32 MSHTML.DLL

if its not working try to download the dll file from
    http://snipurl.com/1okhj
    copy into the folder c:\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll
    if it asks u to overwrite the file click yes
    then
    Start-->Run
    regsvr32 /u MSHTML.DLL
    regsvr32 MSHTML.DLL
    this will fix...

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaJane
    Hello ...does anyone know what this error message means please, when using IE6 on a Compaq Presario 100C with WindowsME and trying to open www.flyordie.com, an online gaming site which i've used for the last two years and now cannot open unless i use another browser...such as Opera...

Iexplore has caused an error in MSHTML.DLL. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks