Video display on TV from laptop?

Thread: Video display on TV from laptop?

Question Video display on TV from laptop?

A friend of mine wants to know can he can set up to display from his laptop to his TV. He has a Dell P2 300 CPi laptop. What does he need to connect from laptop to TV to use the TV screen as his monitor.

You can buy converter leads, otherwise you need a compatible video card (one with TV out) which is tricky for a laptop....

Perhaps something like this ?

Be warned they can be expensive ! (that one above is !) I found them googling with "VGA tv converter cable" .... if you are an electronics whizz , you can pick up how to make a basic one yourself too .... but they are all beyond me !

I'm sure a bit of 'diligent' googling would find one in your price range, I'm sure I've seen much cheaper stuff ....

Thanks confus-ed, my friend recently borrowed his bosses Toshiba Tecra 9100 and was able to use his TV, but since reading your reply I looked up specs on this model Tecra 9100 and it has a s-video outlet, which would explain why he could do it. Thanks for your reply.

Just what video card does this dell have in it ?

Some cards are compatible with very cheap converters, but it depends on the card, I have a matrox G400 max dual head for instance, the TV converter cable for that came free & a replacement is only about $25... it depends if the driver for the card is designed for TV out ... If it is you are on a winner ...

If not though, you need a 'dear' solution like the first link

What quality of output you want & at what resolutions will govern the choice as well as cost ... (In my case I can have 800x600 on TV ... but the one in the link does 1600 x1200 as good as my monitor)...

The Dell laptop has a Neomagic video!!

....a bit of 'diligent' googling would find one in your price range, I'm sure I've seen much cheaper stuff
    Maybe's I was being optomistic the 'best' price I can find for a general converter is $69 ..... cheese video box ... not bad but still not that cheap ....

So I guess that's borderline over buying a new Video card with TV out, if its that simple with that particular laptop....

I don't think you can just plug a converter cable into your particular card without it having an rf modulator ... if it were mine I could of course just plug the cable in & see ... so unless you know a matrox owner ....

I doubt it does work without the modulator except with certain cards otherwise all these firms selling fancy converters wouldn't have any market ....