Computer freezing (Mouse pointer freezing)

Thread: Computer freezing (Mouse pointer freezing)

Computer freezing (Mouse pointer freezing)

This is the first time I have ever entered a forum and I'm nervous. Here goes.

I'm new at attempting to help with computer problems. I took a crash Certification course and am certified, but am very weak in hands on with software issues. Hardware is not the problem.

I'm working on a friends computer. The computer is locking up, or freezing. The mouse pointer refuses to budge. The only way to continue working with the computer is to turn it off manually.

I've checked and the computer has 19 programs running at start up. Someone told me to remove them. I've deleted them using Alt Ctrl Delete, but knew ahead of time that at start up the items deleted are running again.

I'm really uncertain which ones to remove. Do I go to the Start Up Folder through explore and just delete them? How do I know which programs are necessary? I know I need to keep Explore and Systray. But are the rest needed?

I seem to be rambling. Sorry. I will really appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

Welcome to Windrivers!

OK, first of all, which windows is it?

If it's 98 or 98se then, start, run, type in msconfig click ok
    The last tab - labelled start up gives you a list of everything thats starting up which you can then uncheck to prevent startup.

If it is 95 you will have to edit the registry to do this or get a copy of msconfig from a 98 machine and put it on the 95 machine - it will work.

Are you absolutely sure you have ruled out hardware... overheating, dicky ram, dodgy psu?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OK, first of all, which windows is it?
    like NooNoo says.. we need a little more information on what you are using.. what o.s. and hardware you are using.. has anything been removed or installed before the problem started ??

get a copy of msconfig from a 98 machine and put it on the 95 machine - it will work.
    damn.. i love this place.. you learn stuff everyday.. i never knew that..
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

As far as necessary drivers from your MSCONFIG menu, I've found in my machine that the only drivers I ABSOLUTELY NEED on startup are the antivirus startup files.

In addition to deleting unnecessary programs in your MSCONFIG menu, you might also try unstalling any "intellimouse' drivers if they are installed.

Also, this problem used to happen to me when I was using Windows 3.1 and I would get the mouse's IRQ setting confused with the modem's. Then, not only wouldn't the mouse work correctly but when I got online I couldn't go anywhere. Of course this was later corrected with Windows 95 'Plug and Play' settings.

Be sure to report back and welcome to Windrivers
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; April 28th, 2003 at 09:42 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

lock up (mouse freeze) problems

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm sorry I forgot to say it's Win 98 SE.

A new Hard Drive had been installed recently due to the computer having a virus hit that killed the other hard drive.

It now has a 40 Gig hard drive and 256 RAM.

The owner used the original HP disks to load everything onto the new hard drive.

New drivers were located for the monitor and sound cards.

Plug and play found the rest.

Once again, thanks to all of you who have responded. I will be away for a while, but will try these on her computer when I return. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks.