problems with clients accessing the server

Thread: problems with clients accessing the server

problems with clients accessing the server

Okay, i was working at a company today on their network. I had this one problem that was very frustrating. the network has 1 W2K Server and 8 workstations running windows 98 and ME. The W2K Server was not a DC, just set up as a Workgroup. Okay, well one of the computers, lets say was named CEO tried to access the server,but I kept getting a window that said \\Server1\IPC$.. and i had to type in the password. well, the server password did not work. nothing worked. but yet, other clients on the network could get access to the server and I did not get this message \\Server1\IPC$. CEO could ping the Server1. Server1 could access CEO. CEO could access other clients. other clients could access CEO. I couldn't figure it out. Eventually I created another user account on Server1, renamed CEO to oemcomputer and it could access the Server1. why is that?? why was it not logging on as CEO? also, I was having the same problem with the Shipping computer. I created another user account on the Server1 and renamed Shipping to Shipping1,but it couldn't log on, but yet it can access the other clients and Server1 can access it. I kept getting \\Server1\IPC$...when trying to access the server.
    Alright, so basically what is this \\Server1\IPC$? why were those clients getting that message, while others were not?
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

I would guess that it's a licensing issue. Check the licensing snapin (administrative tools/licensing).

oh, the IPC$ share is necessary for authentication.
    Last edited by silencio; April 26th, 2003 at 09:09 AM.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Sounds basic, but I've seen situations where the user's PC was set up to log into Windows, not log into a network (workgroup or otherwise) and this kept them from accesssing network shares directly as others were.

Also, make sure the Windows2000 User-Manager has a list of all the usernames in current use in the workgroup.

The IPC$ share is used with temporary connections between clients and servers by using named pipes for communications among network programs.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the Licensing when I get there on Monday. They did purchase 5 additional CAL's for the Server. there was someone working on the Server before I arrived,but I'm not sure if they added it to the Server.
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

I find the named pipe (IPC$) connections give me that behavior when I am logged on to the client PC with a username and password different than the account that is on the server.

I assume that is how you fixed it for CEO by creating the user account. Maybe on the shipping computer there is some TCP/IP setting that is different, or workgroup name is different.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

are you using DHCP? or is this network small enough to have static?

I have seen this occur with mistyped subnet masks where the subnets or supernets would "overlap" allowing you to see the computers with out a router but still having auth. issuses.

Also you dont have any DMZ type setting setup on your router or firewall?

Just some ideas.

Also if you run out of cals then this can happen and it will change everyso often depending omn who get thier 1st.

You know you want a crabby patty!!