AMD says no to thermal grease!

Thread: AMD says no to thermal grease!

This is just funny and sad at the same time. I can't even find what they want us to use, like I'd use it though.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9188
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

Mmmmm ... they are saying thermal grease melts ! So it can damage the cpu .....!

The age old favourite Artic Silver it seems does not cut the mustard .... strange that I have machines with 5 year old grease ! Perhaps it'll melt soon ? Perhaps 'application' is more important than material ... or perhaps AMD just started marketing their own replacement thermal pads

I could be wrong (though it would be the first time ), but doesn't overclocking void your warranty anyway? So if the AMD certified coolers will work on your chip at rated speed anyway, and grease would only be needed to overclock, wouldn't the presence of grease be proof that you overclocked and voided out the warranty?

I'm betting confused is more on the money. They must be getting ready to bring something proprietary out.

Either that or they have seen a rash of burned up chips that people used way too much arcitc silver on. Too much grease will reduce HSF performance... Dunno, just guessing.

Or they are just hacked off with the wannabbee overclockers RMA ing the chips through agencies that don't have a clue how to check.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

For permanent installation AMD only recommends using phase change material with the heatsink/fan. No thermal grease is recommended for anything other than temporary evaluation purposes. And the only thermal grease recommended for that is Shin Etsu G 749. Artic Silver is made up of a matrix with conductive particles. There is the possibility of creating electrical shorts on the package. Any failed processor used w/ Artic Silver or any other thermal grease other than Shin Estu G 749 would be subject to warranty voiding.
    Oh yeah !

There is also a possibility of me winning the lottery on Saturday! However I ain't gonna make it so by saying unlike a certain company who seem to be getting away with it

I think this is the product the article says no one knows how to find?

http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/produ...&product_id=16

It is the thick hardening shin etsu compound found on most AMD factory coolers.

The stuff hardens like a brick!

BTW if you buy the factory cooler and leave the tape on it stays soft. so just use your favorite grease/heatsink combo then if you need a waranty just clean the surface of the chip with alcohol and a soft cloth, install the factory cooler to get a foot print and some compound on the chip let it dry for a day or two and send it in.

Hang on a mo .... I've been misled...

Look here there's more than one (see suggested interface materials)

I should know better than to take anything the enquirer picks up as 'accurate' ....

I still think its conspiracy though ... he-he ... I like conspiracies ... much more intriguing

The sad part about AMD box processors is that ALOT of the processors we install run too hot (amd recommended to us...via phone conversation....that their processors should not be run over 140 farenheight).

Joe

Originally posted by FireAm94
    The sad part about AMD box processors is that ALOT of the processors we install run too hot (amd recommended to us...via phone conversation....that their processors should not be run over 140 farenheight).

Joe
    My roomies never drops below 140 and that's with a volcano 7+, in the winter, with the case fans all on, cpu underclocked...
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; April 30th, 2003 at 03:10 PM.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

That should work as well as the "Just say no to drugs" policy does.

Originally posted by techs

That should work as well as the "Just say no to drugs" policy does.
    How long before they have a mascot running around chanting the slogan for the CARE(Chip Abuse Resistance Education) program? "CARE to keep grease off of slugs!" Maybe the cops will start riding around with a big AMD logo emblazoned on their cars, handing out bumper stickers and t-shirts, and elementary students will all gather in the cafeteria for a demonstration on the different types of thermal grease and why you should avoid them...and whoever writes the best story about their daddy's run-ins with the "law" for abusing his processors will get to go up on stage and shake the hand of the mascot and get a whole box of strips of thermal tape that they can pass out to the whole school to spread the word...

Sounds crazy...but it could happen.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.