Certification: Where to start?

Thread: Certification: Where to start?

Certification: Where to start?

It's come to the point where I would like to get some certifications. However, I am not able to find a site that says really what you need. There seems to be a ton of exams, and it's just overwhelming.

Does anyone have a website or know the exact requirements of what you need to be, say MCSE certified? Which order should the tests be taken in?

I guess I need to just be pointed in the right direction. If anyone can help guide me I would appriciate it.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by subz503
    It's come to the point where I would like to get some certifications. However, I am not able to find a site that says really what you need. There seems to be a ton of exams, and it's just overwhelming.

Does anyone have a website or know the exact requirements of what you need to be, say MCSE certified? Which order should the tests be taken in?

I guess I need to just be pointed in the right direction. If anyone can help guide me I would appriciate it.

TIA
    This is a common question. The answer depends on what area you are most interested in. The available exams cover a broad spectrum of computer technology. Microsoft, CompTIA, and Cisco all offer very popular exams, but depending on where your interest lies, none of these may be the best choice for you. What are you interested in doing for a career?
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    This is a common question. The answer depends on what area you are most interested in. The available exams cover a broad spectrum of computer technology. Microsoft, CompTIA, and Cisco all offer very popular exams, but depending on where your interest lies, none of these may be the best choice for you. What are you interested in doing for a career?
    I think right now I would best be described as a systems or network administrator. I looked on Microsoft's website and the MCSA looks like a good certification. Don't see many job postings for it though. Still undecided if I should go with that one if it's not going to do me any good though.

Quote Originally Posted by subz503
    I think right now I would best be described as a systems or network administrator. I looked on Microsoft's website and the MCSA looks like a good certification. Don't see many job postings for it though. Still undecided if I should go with that one if it's not going to do me any good though.
    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrators (for anyone confus-ed by all these initials) differs from MCSE (Microsoft certified Sytems Engineer) pretty much in the balance between planning, maintaining & implementing ... This M$ link explains

If you have no computer qualifications, in your current role I'd say a good 'starter' might be something like CompTIA Network +, (there's also 'security' & 'server' which may interest ..) - CompTIA Network+ Certification - this can give you credit towards MCS? (whichever one !) later ...

Cisco qualifications are definately worth having if you stop in network 'whatever' & are well thought of ..

Speaking as an employer, I like candidates 'generally' who have 'non' M$ qualifications (I'm very partial to candidates with Cisco 'whatever' {depends of course on the role} - I think the training is 'much broader', I just don't like candidates who sound like the KB), its all very well knowing Uncle Billy's 'way' parrot fashion, what the hell do you do when that doesn't work !?!

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    My idea is to knock out A+, Net+ then go for either Security+ or start the MS certs. I think it sounds like a pretty good path. A+ gets you in the door when HR is conducting the interviews, and the others are for when IT is doing the interviews As a tip, when it comes time to pay for your exams, I've found that ********certify4less.com has by far the lowest price for test vouchers.
    E.G. A+ is 2 tests, $145 each.
    Certify4Less has a pack with both vouchers for $182.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||