Re-configure dual boot 98/XP machine...

Thread: Re-configure dual boot 98/XP machine...

Re-configure dual boot 98/XP machine...

Had an interesting question asked of me the other day...

If you are running a dual-boot Win98/XP machine (on separate partitions), can you remove the Win98 partition and just have XP?

So I set up a test computer dual booting Win98 and XP to see if it could be done... Ive never tried it before without completely deleting both partitions and doing a fresh install of XP ( or NT, 2K, whatever..)

Heres what I tried

1.Copied the NTLDR, NTDETECT, and BOOT.INI files from the CBoot) partition to the XP partition

2. Used Partition Magic 7 to remove the Cboot/98) partition

3. Re-sized the XP partition to fill the newly created space at the beginning of the drive

4. Changed the partition from Extended to Primary and set it as active

5. Modified the BOOT.INI file to correctly reflect the partition changes /deletes

6. Reboot into XP

It looked like everything was going to work OK.... The XP splash screen came up, and the logging into Windows screen comes up... and....hangs! DOH!

Anyone else ever tried this, and if you got it to work, how?

Im going to obsess over this because I know there must be a way to do it but Im probably missing one little pesky step...

Thanks!
    Live long, die rich, leave a 20yo widow...

Grab yer xp cd... boot from it, drop into recovery, fixmbr and then fixboot and it should be good to go...

hmmm except all the paths where D:\ and now they are c:\... might be a problem
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."