xp home boot problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: xp home boot problems

xp home boot problems

I have a compaq laptop ( presario 900 ) in the shop that is running ( actually NOT running ) windows xp home. It will not boot. It comes up with a menu saying something new may have been added to the computer and will not boot to any mode or previous configuration. I'm not very familiar with Xp so the only thing I could think of was trying the recovery console but the only cd I have is one having sp1 also on it. I don't know if theirs does or not would this be a potential problem? I'm trying to get ahold of them to get their disk but so far no luck.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

OK either they have been playing in the bios or have added hardware.... time to start pulling cards.

As far as XP is concerned on the boot problems, treat as 2k.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

That's the problem there isn't any cards the only evidence of different hardware is the battery has been taken out of the computer. ( laptop )

AS far as treating this like 2k I have even less experience with 2k than I do with xp!

I'm one of those learn as I go guys and the places I've worked at just havent' done that much with business acounts. winxp is mainstream now so we are seeing them more and more but I don't have any nt/2000 experience to build on so I'm basically learning xp from the ground up.

I will go in and check the bios and see if anything is amiss... supposedly only two teachers ( yes this is for a school ) use this laptop and the story goes that one finished using it with no problems and when the second one checked it out it wouldn't boot! Thanks for the quick response

update

I'm now getting an " unmountable boot volume" error

You need the cd to get to the repair console to run fixboot and/or fixmbr.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Does it go into safe mode? Xp will tell you what is locking up the system if you boot to safe mode. if xp does not say what is causing the issue and you can get into safe mode i would start removing device drivers. you can also clear nvram and see whats up, let me know

Originally posted by Kineda
    Does it go into safe mode? Xp will tell you what is locking up the system if you boot to safe mode. if xp does not say what is causing the issue and you can get into safe mode i would start removing device drivers. you can also clear nvram and see whats up, let me know
    If you read his post carefully, it says it won't boot to ANY mode.

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

yep what doc said it will start but then says unmountable boot device and stops. She is going to get the disk for me and get back to me. that I needed the cd to do the recovery console was about the only thing I was sure of. ( well not quite but you get the idea... ) Being thrown into the fire is how I learned computers to begin with so....

Originally posted by DocPC
    If you read his post carefully, it says it won't boot to ANY mode.
    I am really getting sick of your posts doc when i wrote my reply he hadnt posted the unmountable volume so back off, we are all trying to help each other out and ragging on me on every post is counter productive....

as for the pc, unmountable volume is a scary blue screen either the drive is screwed or the install went haywire, i would suggest a low level format and reload and cross those fingers

I kind of thought we had a hardware failure but not too sure.... I'll see what they want me to do. Looks more like a hardware failure as I wasn't installing and they had been using it. The second teacher went to light it up and nothing.

Originally posted by Kineda
    I am really getting sick of your posts doc when i wrote my reply he hadnt posted the unmountable volume so back off, we are all trying to help each other out and ragging on me on every post is counter productive....

as for the pc, unmountable volume is a scary blue screen either the drive is screwed or the install went haywire, i would suggest a low level format and reload and cross those fingers
    Umm, I don't really care how sick you are of my posts. Your suggestion to most everything is FFR.

Unmountable boot volume suggests a fubared MBR. It is also the the least painful to repair it with the repair console rather than to FFR.

Back off........ Right.

Hi Shard

any chance one of them could have tried to install say an interface for a palm pilot, or enabled something in the bios that had been disabled? Either way, try the recovery console before the full reinstall..no telling what they haven't saved

Originally posted by Shard92
    That's the problem there isn't any cards the only evidence of different hardware is the battery has been taken out of the computer. ( laptop )

Ewps... didn't read the post properly - sowwwyyyy

As for Kineda here is the very FIRST post - sorry but Doc is correct.. you misread the post, just as I did.

I have a compaq laptop ( presario 900 ) in the shop that is running ( actually NOT running ) windows xp home. It will not boot. It comes up with a menu saying something new may have been added to the computer and will not boot to any mode or previous configuration. I'm not very familiar with Xp so the only thing I could think of was trying the recovery console but the only cd I have is one having sp1 also on it. I don't know if theirs does or not would this be a potential problem? I'm trying to get ahold of them to get their disk but so far no luck.
    As to Doc's claims that Kineda seem to prefer FFR as a suggestion... I am not about to go through Kineda's posts and find out.

Both of you can post, may I suggest that you try not to read and criticise each other's posts while offering your suggestions.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I kind of thought we had a hardware failure but not too sure.... I'll see what they want me to do. Looks more like a hardware failure as I wasn't installing and they had been using it. The second teacher went to light it up and nothing.
    OK, so it passed between hands, one pair of those hands may have dropped it, open the hdd cover and just check that the disk drive is fully engaged. Then go into the bios and reset it to defaults (after having noted what was set where).

Originally posted by NooNoo
    OK, so it passed between hands, one pair of those hands may have dropped it, open the hdd cover and just check that the disk drive is fully engaged. Then go into the bios and reset it to defaults (after having noted what was set where).
    I thought of that as well unfortunately it is a comcrap and I dont' have a torx( I think that is what it's called.. star end ) small enough to get the bloody door off. I work here under contract and while here use their tools so I'll check my kit for a smaller bit but I don't know if I have one either as it's tiny!! Can anyone tell me if I should use the version of xphome that I have to do the recovery or should I wait for the one they got with it?