Software update makes USB 1.0 ports 2.0?

Thread: Software update makes USB 1.0 ports 2.0?

Software update makes USB 1.0 ports 2.0?

My friend says his motherboard came with 1.1 usb ports and that installing Software Pack 1 for XP made his ports 2.0.

I told him the mobo came with usb 2.0 ports but it's just cause XP doesn't support usb 2.0 speed until you have SP1, but he said the mobo (ECS K7S5A Pro) comes with USB 1.1 ports and the update makes the ports 2.0.

Can you please tell him who's right?

Thanks

The difference between the 2 is hardware, not software.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

here is the spec for that motherboard

4 x usb 2.0 ports
    2 x usb 1.1 ports

As for the debate about SP1 - sp1 provided windows xp with native usb 2.0 drivers to save having to load separate usb 2.0 drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.

Your friend has both types of usb ports, if he had the usb 2.0 installed correctly, he would have been using the ecs provided driver prior to installing sp1
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

He said the mobo actually came with only usb 1.1 ports and that an update "flashed" the mobo to support usb 2.0, is that possible?

They're two different technologies. He had both types of ports to begin with, therefore he still has both kinds of ports.

Originally posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    He said the mobo actually came with only usb 1.1 ports and that an update "flashed" the mobo to support usb 2.0, is that possible?
    Read the specification link,.. he quite clearly had BOTH types of usb port.

He can flash all he likes... the usb2.0 were supplied with the board... now being an ECS board, it's likely a bios flash had to be supplied to make the darn things work right.

SP1 only provided native driver support for hardware already there.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well as Noo says he actually had both USB 1 & 2 'ports' on his system in the first place....

As far as bios was concerned, all it knows about are devices connected in terms of manufacturer, type and resource allocations .... it never knew about capacities ever ... so it still doesn't 'know' ... it might now know that it has a usb 2.0 controller (the ports themselves are exactly the same) - courtesy of the bios flash, but it never knew about capacity ... all it sees now is a correctly identified controller chip.

Can I just add that SP1 only provides native support for NEC usb 2.0 controllers, there are other usb 2.0 compliant controller chips that use their own propriety drivers...

So in this case if he had SP1 already, then a bios flash (thus correcting the 'controller' issue) would indeed 'appear' to 'upgrade' it ....

Even if he'd been using propriety drivers, mis-identification in bios would mean the 'ports' could well think they were all usb 1 & not some usb 2

Re: Software update makes USB 1.0 ports 2.0?

If his USB ports work at either 1.1 or 2.0 specs on his ECS rubberboard he should pat himself on the back.

What made him decide the ports suddenly sped up? Does he have an external writer or such?

My friend says his motherboard came with 1.1 usb ports and that installing Software Pack 1 for XP made his ports 2.0.

I told him the mobo came with usb 2.0 ports but it's just cause XP doesn't support usb 2.0 speed until you have SP1, but he said the mobo (ECS K7S5A Pro) comes with USB 1.1 ports and the update makes the ports 2.0.

Can you please tell him who's right?

Thanks
    <Help> Connect it to the one called SERIAL 1, look at the shape and make sure it is the right way before you gently push it on
    <User> It WON'T go on!
    <User> Wait a second....
    <User> 'Sound of breaking'
    <User> Thats it its on now!
    <User> ****! Now its fallen off!
    <Help> It should go on easily, what does the connector say next to it?
    <User> I think it says PARALLEL.
    <Help> Ok we will book an onsite call.
    <Tech> Replace M/B, Muppet had tried to connect Modem DB25 F/male to Parallel DB25 female.

No, Your friend is just an idiot. Now you know.
    If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

Just ell him he's right-- it's much easier in the long run. People like to think they are right
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

Originally posted by joelen
    Just ell him he's right-- it's much easier in the long run. People like to think they are right
    .... the point was, he was right ! Kinda....

The original bios misidentified the usb 2.0 ports as a different device (usb 1.0) since usb 2 is backwards compatible, they still worked as usb 1.0 ....

When he flashed his bios the port was then correctly identified & as he had sp1 for xp already installed they 'magically apppeared' as usb 2......

So he was 'right' even though his reasoning is far from correct!

i have this board and it has 4 usb 2.0 ports on the back panel and then it has 3 optional usb 1 ports that can be added. just send him to http://ecsusa.com and look up the ecs k7s5a pro board.