Kazaa, Grokster - targeted by RIAA

Thread: Kazaa, Grokster - targeted by RIAA

Kazaa, Grokster - targeted by RIAA

Looks like the music industry has sent some messages to people who share MP3's stating that the users aren't anonymous.
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/5745447.htm

And, it looks like they were able to get the courts to force Verizon to give up the names of the people who are trading files (well one of them and the case is under apeal).
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-981449.html

What do you all think? Remember that there is a standing rule that says we may not discuss piracy and it has so far been upheld to mean that we are not to discuss how to pirate things and what you may do yourself and where to do it on the internet.

Personally I am not worried because of this.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ies/998363.htm
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

Looks to me like the liability is going to be put on the individual user and in turn the record companies will come after people. While I don't think it's feasable to sue everybody, I do wonder if they won't figure out a way to send you a bill for the music you've downloaded. If you don't pay it could go on your credit report. That would suck.

In the end I think record companies and artists should make a lot less money. It's funny how many artists complain about bomb and tank building while they rake in millions for blowing **** up in a movie. Here's a thought, if hollywood wants to stamp out hunger and poverty, let everyone in that industry give away anything they make over $150,000 a year. That's still a hell of a lot more to live on than the farmers picking crops and the contractors swinging hammers (you know, real jobs).
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Re: Kazaa, Grokster - targeted by RIAA

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    Remember that there is a standing rule that says we may not discuss piracy and it has so far been upheld to mean that we are not to discuss how to pirate things and what you may do yourself and where to do it on the internet.
    Yes academic discussion about piracy is fine. How to's and links will be deleted.

I have said this before, the music industry made a fatal marketing mistake by not embracing distribution via the internet. They could have set up servers with membership or one off fees to download high quality mp3. Maybe they felt that the jobs in distribution, packaging and pressing mp3 where more important... but if the 20% fall in purchased cds is correct, then they shot themselves in both feet.

There will always be a certain amount of hardcore pirates that refuse to pay for anything. These people borrowed other people's cds, lps and taped off the radio before there was electronic file sharing.

Many use the file sharing networks as a major demo - to see if they actually want to buy the new album. Perhaps this 20% fall is more because people are being more choosy about the music they invest in.

Either way, what is clear is the music industry dug themselves a hole over the electronic distribution of music and they are still digging.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Not only that, but did you know that what the RIAA isn't saying is that the major labels distributed a LOT LESS music last year, which also caused a drop in sales????

They tend to keep that one under their hats unless someone deliberately asks about it...
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

I pretty much concur with everything said so far. Noo's dead on. they are trully passing up on an opportunity to turn Mp3's into the next form or radio/mtv marketing. They should be doing things to put videos on line and put a ton of demo stuff out and let people test market it but they just don't. It's like they never heard of technology before. I just don't get it.

Paraflyer has a great point as well. Also, on the radio I heard something I concurr with as well. Music is becoming generic and dull. One band pops up and the record companies create/grab 10 others that sound exactily alike and market them in stead of finding new talent playing different music. It's not like theres a giant lack of new sounds, they just don't sign and market them.

While the RIAA is using what I consider to be scare tactics, the fact remains that they have lost their first attempt to outlaw such P2P tools. Verizon is obligated to comply during the appeals process, if I understand this correctly.

More on the original case (lost by the RIAA) here: http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1051308047.html

I recall an article casting doubt on the excuse of "We're losing money" spewed by the RIAA and its upholders (Metallica, as an example) when during that same year record sales exceeded predictions. This happened while Napster was being sued. If the RIAA's arguments had been sound, they should have lost money that year.

The market is definitely ready for media that can be passed on from one form to the next without infringing copyrights.

Personally, if I purchase an album, I consider it my prerogative to be able to listen to it on the platform an in the format of my choosing.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by a d e p t

I recall an article casting doubt on the excuse of "We're losing money" spewed by the RIAA and its upholders (Metallica, as an example) when during that same year record sales exceeded predictions. This happened while Napster was being sued. If the RIAA's arguments had been sound, they should have lost money that year.
    I don't see how they could be losing money. Yes, I pay extra for usenet access to DL a bunch of music. But, I've gained access to so many new bands that I didn't know existed and I've bought more albums/CDs in the last 5 years (since I started downloading) than I have during the entire rest of my life.

POP radio plays crap and is dead. This, to me, is the issue. The big boys don't have a monopoly on what the masses are exposed to and, in turn, what the masses buy. I ordered XM radio about 6 months ago. I like it but I'm noticing now how much they repeat themselves. They're doing the same thing regular radio does, feeding you a set playlist so you'll go buy those artists.

One of these days the internet is going to offer new talent a place to showcase their music and sell it cheap. Without the middleman.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Banned
    The true culprit in all of this is Clear Channel, if we get rid of them we all might get decent radio back into our cities!!!!

clear channel ?

what is that?

Hello Hello, Yes hello to me and hello to you, I am the Crap On and i live in a zoo and its such a friendly old zoo and such fun you'll enjoy yes you will everyone, every two will enjoy it, every three, every four. so come visit my zoo and come up on four.

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by [NeoZeeD]
    clear channel ?

what is that?
    Some mega comglomerate that controlls media and advertising.