USB modem

Thread: USB modem

USB modem

With WIN 98SE how do you set up the internet Wizard to see the modem as USB device. It seems to only look at Com ports..

OK, first remove the modem from the usb port. Shut down. Do not connect the modem yet. Find the CD that came with the modem and install the drivers. The drivers will either install and ask you to plug in the modem or they will just install.

If they just install reboot the computer and when it gets to desktop and the timer icon on the mouse has gone, plug in the modem - 98 should (after a few seconds) come up with a new hardware found dialogue and ask for the drivers, click next and it should find them - leave the cd in the cdrom in case it needs to recopy the files.

If it asks you to plug in the modem then just keep following the wizard until its installed.

Your windows cd may be needed too.

Post back with details of the modem and any errors if you have problems

Good luck!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi,

thanks for the reply it took a while to get back to it, too many thunderstrorms every night. Anyway I tried what you said but it still did not work. I think the problem is that the manufacturer di dnot put the driver on the CD. At least I can not find a .inf file any where on the CD or new drivers on the hard drive. I picked up an external modem that runs on Com 1
    Long rule old technology.

I will keep tring just for the fun of it, if I get it going I will let you know

Thanks again

D